How do you do

Howdy

12 Likes

I don’t have any good advice on this situation. If you care for your friend, the only thing that you can really do is try to be there if he needs you. Push too hard and he may shut you out. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, this is something that he needs to work out for himself. In times like these, it’s sometimes more important to listen than to talk. A good friend of mine committed suicide not too long ago. Everyone did their best, but sometimes you can’t save someone from themselves. I hope that your friend pulls himself out of this. Best of luck to you!

10 Likes

Tell him you are worried about him and if he needs to talk or anything else you are there for him. That’s about all you can do.

10 Likes

Just being there for him helps.

9 Likes

Indeedy Chief. The gift of ones time is the one that speaks the loudest.

Take him fishing, out to breakfast or chase some pursuit that you know he’ll like. I would try to get him out of his rut and re-engaged in life. Be honest about what your doing and why. Knowing that sombody cares matters.

9 Likes

If you see something - say something. If you don’t, you’ll regret it later.
Recently I laid into a friend for drinking himself stupid over family and other issues. I was more than a bit harsh. Told him we were seriously worried for him, AKA he is NOT alone when he has friends that care. I AM a tough love guy.
He said Friday he’s 7 days dry and wife talking to him again.
We’re praying for him.
Looked good, I’m watching as he has slipped more than a few times.

9 Likes

Sad as it is, many people won’t allow any weakness emotionally short of a crying jag, so perhaps go have a drink with him, see if he opens up

Aside from that you’re already helping simply by being aware and having compassion,
it may just take time and baby steps, so continue to be there, like the good friend you clearly are :hugs:

9 Likes

Mourn with those who mourn, weep with those who weep. I just heard of this book actually, the author is a pastor, wrote it after being a hospital Chaplin and helping a family who the epileptic mother had a sdisure and suffocated their baby. Rough stuff, but God is big. Grieving: Your Path Back to Peace (Crisis Points): White, James R.: 9780764220005: Amazon.com: Books. I’ve not read it yet but plan to and appreciate the author. James white, “grieving - your path back to peace”

9 Likes

Good advice so far. I’ll be the devil on the shoulder you need to ignore.

Hookers. High class hookers. That’s all I got.

I hope that lightened it up a bit.

8 Likes