How far will a Howa 1500 Winchester Magnum chambered in .338 shoot with good power

Hello everyone, I am Azriel. I am new to this forums & I hope to get to know you all.

Now I have a question directed towards long range shooting. Would anyone happen to know how far that rifle in the title can shoot with good power?

Say Enough power to take down a large animal or human. I bought this rifle for extremely long range shooting. Such as 1k+ yards.

8 Likes

I believe you’re the first introduction in this area but it makes sense, looking forward to photos and reports, we have a few who may be able to help but I’ve never fired a .338 or shot such an amazing distance so I’ll just listen for anyone who has to answer :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

My ballistics calculator shows a 185 barns ttsx would have 527 ft lbs of energy/ 1132fps at 1000 yards with a MV of 3007fps (My Lab Radar/ BAR rifle), Time of flight 1.63 seconds. 330 inches/ 9.2 Mrad drop with a 200 yard zero. I probably would say no, but I couldn’t see anything that far away anyway.

6 Likes

Well since a 9mm P+ load has about 400 ft/lb at the muzzle I think that 527 ft/lds is sufficient. The problem is that with 330 inches of drop it would right difficult if not impossible to get your target in the site window.
JMHO

Actions speak LOUDER than words PARTY OF DEATH DNC NAZICRATS!!!

6 Likes

There are a bunch of factors that go into long range shooting. Most 338’s in aware of all have plenty of knock down at 1k yards. How well it does it is where all these “factors” come in. I’d need more info to give a detailed answer. Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

I run into this at 6 or 700 yards, have to reduce zoom to see holdover dot on my Sierra BDX, and run out of turret adjustment at 800 or 900 on my Vortex PST. Long range shooters compensate for this with angled mounts so at close range turrets are almost maxed out to the top of the window, giving all the elevation adjustment instead of just 1/2 if starting from center. I don’t shoot at over 5 or 600 yards so doesn’t bother me so much.
Edit: Something else to consider, your bullet that punches a fist sized hole in an elk at 200 yards may just poke a tiny hole in him at 1100 FPS

6 Likes

Welcome

7 Likes

Howdy and

Humans at 1,000? How about paper?

Presume you have a 338 Win Mag. A lapua has done it at well over a mile.

My Savage 6.5C will shoot paper at 1000. People hit 1 MOA targets at a mile with the 308. In the UK they have a competition using the 308 Win that starts at 1000 and moves to 1500. Bipods and bags not allowed.

Shooting critters? Hmmm.

Honestly, the idea of ethical hunting means the shooter has put in the time to acquire the skill, and is using equipment able to deliver a quick kill at the distance the shot is made.

Critter type matters as well. You mentioned large animal. Yotes vs Bull Elk are two completely different scenarios. Yotes are easy, Bull Elks not so much. Moose are bigger but easier. Mulies can run pretty big too. Goats are smaller but tough and you likely will be bucking wind. What large animal matters.

So what cartridge is your 338? What bullet have you selected? What scope? How many MOA are your rings and rail giving you? Can you read mirage to dope wind?

The skills required can be developed so you can partipate in extreme long range hunting, which is what 1000 yard and beyond is. It will take time and perserverance. You probably should start at normal ranges and work your way up to shooting paper past the distance you want to hunt at with the bullet you plan to use.

6 Likes

Whole different critter then a Win Mag. OP mentioned “Good Power” I assumed he wasn’t talking paper, don’t need a lot of power for that. :rofl:

7 Likes

People at a 1000?

6 Likes

Remember that pistol round energy is not that high and penetration is not the real issue, target acquisition and elevation and windage adjustment are. If 124 grains at 1100 fps can kill, then 180 grains at 1100 fps will still carry sufficient momentum to poke a lethal hole in something. But you have to be able to make that shot for that to happen.

Actions speak LOUDER than words PASTY OF DEATH DNC NAZICRATS!!!

8 Likes

A 9mm bullet is designed around a 1000 fps impact. Soft and blunt. Good expansion and wound cavity. Rifle rounds going 1000 fps, not so much. Hole poker. If you shoot an elk 1000 yards away and only poke a little hole in him because your magnum bullet was not going magnum speed, it’s lethal, sure, might even find him, after a 1000 yard sprint followed by 2 days and nights tracking…
Hell, where I hunt, 1000 yards in any direction would include a cliff covered in blackberry bushes and a river anyway, what do I know!

ec5.8

ec4.8

9 Likes

Very nice Elk, and a beautiful rifle!

8 Likes

No doubt, agreed, I’ve never hunted anything that large

8 Likes

With the right bullet & load, it should go out to 1500 yds with no problem.

8 Likes

Example?

EDIT: Even if you could get velocity up to 3200 fps at the muzzle, (which I doubt you could even get out of the Win Mag’s big brother, the 340 Weatherby), the bullet would be 3 seconds in the air and drop 1100 inches. Velocity 900 fps. So, you need a bullet that expands at 900 fps just enough to dump the remaining 350 ft lbs into the beast. All with your zoom turned down to 7 power to keep the target in the window.
Suppose it could be done.

5 Likes

I have no examples. However, if a .30-06 will effectively go 1400 yds, it stands to reason that the larger .338 WM, which has more powder capacity & a larger, heavier bullet, should be able to do 1500 yds.

7 Likes

Sure, bullets will go miles. So no examples, maybe define “Effective”. (Just messing with you, all friends here! :slight_smile: )
30-06 1400 yards MV 3000 fps 150 gr Hornady SST (Anyone get 3000fps out of their '06?)
Time in the air still about 3 seconds.
Drop a thousand inches ( or 83 ft, or 28 yards, or 20 MRAD)
285 on the energy
925 fps

Edit: Here is one of my my 308s, MV 2700 Hornady 150 SST

35 ft drop at 1000 yards, less then 2 seconds flight time. Doable, but probably not by me.

7 Likes

I can’t even shoot 500 yards with a .300 win mag let alone a 1000 yards with a .338 mag.

Supposedly a .300 win mag is good for dropping humans at 1300 yards though, no idea if that’s true though.

7 Likes

The OP did put “Humans” in the equation. Humans don’t seem to do as well as an elk when you poke little holes in them. Any of the above examples would be “effective” on a human if you could hit one. We’re a bunch of weenies.

We load that one also around 3000 fps with a 180 if I remember correctly. Same belted magnum brass as the 338, bullets a little better ballistics.(Hornady ELD-X)
EDIT 300 Weatherby Mag, not Winchester.

8 Likes