How Many Bullets Do You Need Per Gun or Caliber?

@Chuparosa,
check out SMG ammo and Freedom Munitions
I’ve gotten some good deals there in the past, but remember I do my buying around Christmas time.
Might I suggest you place a want to buy add in our for sale Section, you never know you might get a hit over there for your ammo can.

2 Likes

Thanks mate! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Torque, no problem glad to help.

If you are not worried about your foundation then you don’t have enough.

When you start buying accessories for your ammo you are getting close. I bought a dolly just to move it around when I need to.

7 Likes

I have a lot of different calibers too. However, I only stock up on what i would defend with… about 2K each of 7.62x39, .308. 500+ 12ga 00BK. The rest is just as much as i can afford when i can afford.

Some cops, in some areas, are just dicks! You could always print out the laws on transporting/posessing firearms. Seems a lot of LE doesn’t really know the laws as well as they should. I used to have a book, that i got at a gun show, that clearly stated each states firearm laws. i kept that in the car.

In no particular order…
https://www.surplusammo.com/
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/
https://www.midwayusa.com/
https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition-Reloading/search

5 Likes

Very nice, Mongo !

Now, to find a place where I can begin my ammo warehouse (and maybe a lottery win to afford it?).

1 Like

KeithP

Thanks for the info and advice.

Very helpful.

I haven’t chimed in but I’ve been busy packing magazines, ammo, etc. I buy on a budget. My rule of thumb is pick two. Buy in bulk for your SHTF rifle and pistol. Each time you shoot, replenish. May get a little extra for your fun calibers each time you order. It will build up… fast if you shoot a lot.

You may not get to the storage levels that some other members are at, but you’ll have more than you can carry eventually. This has worked for me. I’m awash in heavy ammo cans and crates.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, ThisOldGun.

I am already way past what I can carry. In fact, I can’t even load it all into my SUV. But, some calibers I have (examples include .45 acp and .40 S&W, among others), I have very few rounds (not even 500 each). Don’t get me wrong - I really like those calibers (too). I just have not stocked up on them like I have some of my other calibers.

I think stocking up on the SHTF calibers and primary defense calibers, first, makes sense. I am working on that over the course of this year. Hopefully, by next year, I can start building up my non-SHTF and non-primary defense calibers. Still, trying to come up with that happy number of rounds to store is tough (for me).

1 Like

Don’t worry you’re not racing for anyone for ammo numbers! I have less than 500 rounds for my EDC because it’s in .40 S&W. I don’t have but one other pistol that takes it. I simply don’t need that much. Other calibers are a different story. Sounds like you are well on your way to being well armed and prepared though Sir!

1 Like

ThisOldGun:

Thank you for your kind remarks.

I started a thread a while back (Ideal Gun Portfolio), trying to figure out just what is a good set of guns - what people consider to be well armed. I got various answers, of course, but I still feel I am a bit short of where I need to be, both in guns and in ammo.

1 Like

I will check and get back to you. I don’t remember if I have an open “partial”; but I’m afraid I may have moved the contents to a ammo-can.

The “SPAM” cans have a nasty sharp edge once you peel them open.

1 Like

No worries. :slight_smile: I might try and find one full myself.

1 Like

Think outside the box. Sure, lots of ammo is great to have on hand but you should also consider what to do if you don’t have anything but a blade and your wits. What if you have an entire ammo dump at home but are 1000 miles away when the SHTF?

6 Likes

KeithP:

Yes, that is a plausible alternate scenario. That does not eliminate or reduce the need for a proper SHTF stash, even though I could not travel everywhere with it. It does, however, point to the need for backups - small backups that I can carry (almost?) anywhere.

I totally agree with needing that extra preparation. Thanks.

I agree with 5,000 per handgun caliber and 10,000 per rifle caliber. Except 22lr, then way…way more…

1 Like

Texasgrendel:

Thanks for your feedback. Wow! That’s a lot of bullets (well, at least it is for those of us with a bunch of different calibers).

But then, you are not likely to run out of bullets. Hope you always can maintain your goal.

5-10. You take that how you like. Either 5-10 cartridges, 5-10 thousand or 5-10 tons. It really depends on what firearm they are for. A bolt action is like a hybrid car, it doesn’t consume as many rounds as a PS90. You can actually get cartridge components by the ton if you look at military surplus (trust me, it’s probably as close of an experience as getting high on crack cocaine without having a clue what that’s like, the adrenaline is unbelievable). For my bolt actions most are barely a few hundred for the magnums and less than 1k for the rest. But when it comes to handgun ammunition or something like an AK or AR then I think you are in the K/thousand units. In the end, you can’t take it to heaven with you so you better make sure you enjoy the rounds while alive.

Speaking of crack addict, I used to have a really hard time keeping very many rounds. If I had them then I had to shoot them. And we’re talking about thousands of rounds being shot in many visits to the range which was within a mile of my house and I went there nearly every single day. Only thing that cured me was moving to Texas. No free ranges to shoot at. So my reloading has finally gotten ahead of my shooting. Despite having a Dillon 1050 I still prefer to load my rounds on my single stage presses which ensures pretty nice consistencies but takes a lot longer. Still fun testing new loads but no matter how much I save on ammunition I can’t swallow the concept of paying someone to be able to go shooting.

4 Likes

I think my neighbor summed it up pretty good… “You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition”. That’s on the back window of his truck. Lol

5 Likes

USCOMBATDIVER:

I agree, depends on how you use the gun and what kind of gun it is.

However, I hope I never get down to only 5 to 10 rounds left for any of my calibers, regardless. Now, 5 to 10 thousand rounds would be nice to have for any of my calibers, but I don’t have the room to store that many rounds for all my calibers (and I think I’d need to hit the lottery to afford that many for all, too).

Your last sentence pretty much spells it out - buy what you can enjoy/use. However, would like to leave some for any surviving family. Not too worried about the ammo going bad. I had some ammo I sold a while back that was more than 20 years old and it shot just fine (per the buyer).