How OCD are you about mixing & matching AR uppers, lowers and parts?

I’ve always felt I had to match receivers , dont know why. Also like my buffer tube to be the same brand. This sums it up:

11 Likes

I don’t have any guns to match receivers but if you ever seen my shop walls, you’d know I have OCD.

9 Likes

wait what, we’re not supposed to mix/match AR’s ?

10 Likes

I’m trying to change my ways but mismatching receivers really gets to me. I feel like monk when I see it.

8 Likes

It’s never really bothered me, but I do try to purchase the same brand upper at the same time as the lower.

Most of the time it works out, because I have a build plan in mind and it’s a matter of convenience to buy those two parts at the same time. However, I have a few lowers laying around I bought when prices were good that don’t have any upper or immediate plans for a build. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

AR-15’s I have no problem mixing and matching, never been an issue. The large frame AR’s is a different story, I will never mix brands, almost always causes issues, functional and aesthetics.

10 Likes

I’m limited it experience about this but my thoughts are if it is built to a certain set of specifications than mix-and-match should be OK as far as uppers and lowers go. It has worked for me so far.

9 Likes

Same here. My most recent build was a Aero Precision M4E1 lower with Palmetto State premium upper and Bravo Company BCG. It runs great, so the logos are irrelevant to me.

If you stick with quality parts, it will run smooth and be reliable.

10 Likes

I used an Omni hybrid lower because it was the only ar lower left in the store at
The time and it matched up to a PSA upper just fine. I had heard stories about the hybrid lowers not matching up but it went together beautifully for me.

8 Likes

My thoughts as well for the AR 15 platform.

10 Likes

So basically im weird, didnt need reassurance on that but ok.

9 Likes

Long before the topic of firearms was discussed…

9 Likes

I’ll mix/match anything as long as it’s quality.
Done with the junk/cheap crap…learned my lessons there.

10 Likes

Ummmm……Isn’t that the whole concept of Mil-spec.? All true mil spec receivers, uppers, and parts ought to interchange.

10 Likes

While true among the “better” non custom brands, there is still sometimes an issue with tolerance stacking (2 brands within mil spec but at different ends of the specification). Also fits and finishes, markings etc…really for me the issue is I like to match them, much like a woman with clothes or a little girl with barbies.

7 Likes

We just mill what does not fit.

7 Likes

Parts from different rifles (M16A2) were never tossed in a bucket and cleaned, then put together.

/sarcasm

8 Likes

Speaking of mix and match, who has purchased a new BCG, such as a full auto or suppressed version on their weapon, after shooting hundreds or even thousands of rounds? I know Sgt Halfmast in PM magazine, and I think the -10 book says do not interchange bolts between rifles because the parts are “worn in” and the metal has its wear patterns together. This is true of all machines.

And I know it happened. And I know many here probably already did with binary triggers, suppressors, or even just to get a better product that the piece of shit Colt sold for a long time.

Any issues on your AR-15 pattern carbine or rifle?

8 Likes

That’s a good question. I’ve never swapped a bolt or carrier after a high round count. However, I know people have replaced broken/cracked bolts. I wouldn’t expect any issues with a quality replacement part that’s in spec.

7 Likes

Pat Rogers put 60k through on AR and didnt mention it, he abused it too and replaced several bolts but no barrel swaps. He had a dozen more with similar round counts. I mean you are right here though. Its not a good idea to mix and match like that.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

7 Likes