How Often should you clean your rifle?

I clean and lube my centerfire guns after every outing. My 22LR 10/22, not so much. It gets a good going over once a year. At least now it does. The first 10 years I owned it it NEVER got cleaned. I occasionally sprayed the action with a little Rem-Oil. I can’t detect any damage and the accuracy was good enough for squirrels. After approx. 2000 rounds I felt guilty and gave it a cleaning but could not detect any improvement in accuracy. Jamming is about the same frequency after as before.

I have a nylon 66 that has never been cleaned just wipe it down and call it good.

@mattig89ch Really the only right answer is “what works for you, and what the gun likes”. 50 is nothing for a .22lr. I have a .223 that I run a 1 wet patch down and then 1 dry patch. Shoots and functions great so I will never “full clean” unless accuracy suffers. My precision .223 has a very slight falloff after 100 rounds. I have found it best to clean this one before every outing. Before you shoot a new rifle you should clean it to get all the factory lube off of it. .22rf rifles are very forgiving. Generally you will see accuracy improvements as you shoot (personally I have seen improvements up to 1k. ). After 1k if you want to clean it have at it! Honestly with a semi auto, its probably a good idea to get the bolt to ensure proper function. My 1022 will go a good 1,500 before I NEED to clean it ( some jams and accuracy starts to slightly fall off…slightly). When you clean, don’t remove all the fouling in the bore. If you do, you are going to have to shoot a brick or 2 to get the accuracy back . Personal opinion : Extended period of un-use: 1-2 months. If so, clean and leave some light oil in the bore MAKE SURE TO RUN A DRY PATCH THROUGH BEFORE YOUR NEXT RANGE TRIP. Cleaning: For Semi auto Clean every 1.5 to 2k For Bolt action Every 2.5-5k. Match rifles: Per my anschutz 54 match manual “clean after every use”. I have found that any of my .22lr rifles setup for target shooting, I clean every 3-4 trips This is about a brick. Most of this is just to wipe and grease the bolt and clean the chamber.

A NOTE ON STORAGE: I keep my rifles In a safe with a golden rod. The one shotgun that will not fit (very long sxp trap) Is kept in a silicone coated gun sock. If you are going to keep the rifle in a case, the foam will absorb moisture. I highly suggest the gun socks. Very cheap and great defense against rust.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gun-storage/gun-cases/brownells-gun-sock-prod82740.aspx

2 Likes

@mattig89ch By the way on dehydration packs: I have used them and they go VERY FAST. You will spend more time putting them in the oven to re charge than you will leaving them in the gun case. If the case is water tight it might make a difference, but honestly if you have or can buy a dehumidifier then store the rifles in a room with that to keep humidity at or bellow 30%. I can leave a rifle in the case in my loading room with no fear of rust, but 2 days at my dads place in a case in their closet and the barrel will have light surface rusting. Location, location, loc---- well you get the point. :wink:

3 Likes

thanks for the responses all! They are very much appreciated. I will say, @switchpod 's adivce did hit home for me. its cheaper to change the oil on a car, then replace it. Same with CLP. So I think I’m going to start cleaning my rifle after every outing. After all, it was under $150 in total. So, whats the worst that happens? I need to replace the barrel?

Regarding my storage, sadly it is what it is. I just picked up a 50 pack of those dehydration gel packs, and tossed 3 in there on Friday. I’m going to check on them next week, and see how they’re doing (am a few states away atm for the holiday).

Also, I’m not actually sure that surface rust is rust. I was watching the barrel after my latest outing, where my brother in law and I put 100 rounds through the rifle. And I noticed, when the barrel heated up, the coating was turning white with the heat. So it could be that what I thought was rust, might actually be the factory coating flaking off with the heat. Or…I could be right, and it might be surface rust. tbh, i’m genuinely not sure which it is.

So my current plan, when I clean it next, is to wipe the actual rifle down it a slightly oiled rag. And see if that thin coat helps to keep it more rust resistant.

Finally, thanks for the gun sock idea @DOSE_OF_FREEDOM . How does that help keep the rifle away from the dampness more?

That should be normal. Small oil deposits, or moisture “cooking off” will make a barrel look like and do just that.
One more thing I forgot to mention. Another option is to have a small fan circulate air around your rifle with the action open, if you don’t have a fan stick it by the refrigerator. The condenser fan will kick on intermittently and circulate air to help evaporate any moisture that is on the steel. Think of it like this, in the morning the grass has dew on it unless it’s a windy day! Then it’s dry.

@mattig89ch The silicone treated polyester will not HOLD moisture. Obviously dont take a rifle out in the pouring rain and put it away in a sock and expect it to not rust, but in normal conditions it will help. My loading room humidity hit 85% 2 days ago. I had a bullet seating die in the press and it had a film of rust over it. I was worried about my shotgun since the case will absorb moisture like a sponge. Shot gun was fine. I have seen them work well. The only bad reviews I can find are from a rival company saying theirs is better (protectall?). The drawstring is a concern for some because its not a complete seal, but does it matter if it works? For $7 to $12? Nope. I think not. If you are storing in a case you can still uses silica to keep moisture in the packet, but that sock will ensure more protection if you cant store it in a cool dry place and also protect against scratches.

2 Likes

would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2SMVAC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TUSQTQV8ZKES&psc=1

If I have the time, I clean my guns after every outing. Always a field strip, wipe down, and oil before reassembly. I haven’t done a detailed cleaning on anything yet, but I imagine I’ll have to do it at some point. It may seem redundant to clean them so often, but I enjoy the act while I’m watching a movie or something.

Ive never used one before. Really up to you. Looks promising as long as the seal holds long term. If it was me I would buy a small wireless meter to measure humidity inside the bag and out to see if it was making a difference. Only one way to find out tho :wink: Ive it a buy and if it works let us know!

1 Like

OK, just looked into a wireless humidity sensor. They are like 150 bucks! That’s more then the price of the rifle!

Nah man lol. Just get this. $10. Put it in the room for an hour or 2. Write the number down. Then put it in the case for an hour or 2. Open it. Write the number down. The more humid the area the better as the data offert will be greater. Then re use this anywhere in the house. I use this in my reloading area for a clock. Have had it for a year without issues. Humidity should be under 35-40%.

OTAO Humidity Meter Digital Hygrometer Room Thermometer Large LCD Voice Control Backlight Alarm Clock Humidity Gauge Indoor Temperature Humidity Monitor Sensor with USB Cable (adapter not included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LPLQZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0hTcBb8FQM1WA

My thought is your rifle is a machine or mechanical device, so just like all machines with moving parts they need to be regularly cleaned, maintained and stored.

I’ve never heard of any one saying “cleaned it to much and it died”

In my routine I do a general clean after each range visit finishing with a light oil of the barrel and wipe.

When I’m in the field I leave it and do a heavy clean disassembling the rifle when I get home. This can be up to 2weeks.

I will buy a bore snake to run through in the future just before I go out.

As someone already mentioned really depends on the owner and the use.

In ur case a general clean after the range is sufficient. Barrel, Bolt, receiver, wipe down done

As for storage no idea, but something with rubber seals. Maybe plastic case. I’m looking to make a hunting storage unit for the field thinking poly plastic🤔

After every trip to the range. I shoot surplus ammo and that means corrosive primers. Especialy the WW2 German and Brit stuff.

1 Like

I clean when the groups start getting bigger. Its possible to clean too much. Other than that…when I’m bored.

Hi, Matting. I know this is “overkill”, but I clean after every session. I know it’s not needed, but it doesn’t hurt. AND it gives me a chance to inspect the weapon thoroughly. I find it to be a relaxing experience — comparable to ‘model-building’ in a way.
I can now do them all blindfolded too (not that I would).

1 Like

after every session or use and a lot of times before (once you wore the green bag somethings are hard to shake).

2 Likes