How to deal with common AR15 malfunctions

If you are running an AR15 you need to know how to handle malfunctions. These are all great videos on the subject.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Helpful vids. Thanks for posting.

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: FAL vs AK vs AR vs other ( vs. thread 2.0 )

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: FAL vs AK vs AR vs other ( vs. thread 2.0 )

4 Likes

How to function check the AR15

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

If you carry and AR, I suggest carrying three other things with it:

1. An entire extra bolt carrier assembly, as the quickest way to deal with parts breakage.

2. A parts kit, since disassembling the rifle causes many parts and springs to go flying into oblivion.

3. An AK for when you run out of bolt carrier assemblies and small parts.

:grimacing:

5 Likes

Yes, I agree but parts breaking is not all that common on a quality AR. A spare BCG is a great idea though.

Disassembling the rifle is simple and theres no real parts to lose unless tearing down the bcg/bolt. A spare parts kit for that is a good idea though.

An AR15 only needs lubed and it will go thousands of rounds with no issue. I personally ran my Colt 6920 over 7k rounds with no issue. It seen drops on hard surfaces, was slammed into barricades, mud, rain, dust etcā€¦ that rifle was hardy but it needed lubed or it would get sluggish. I keep an eye drop bottle full of lube in the grip and every few hundred rounds it got lubed.

Not really an issue

Pat Rogers Filthy 14 , ran an AR hard for 30k did simple repairs/maintenance than it went another 30k before being retired. Thats hard use ,not range use.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

Mike Pannone , an SFOD-D guy among other things.

(From the article)
ā€œI fired 2400 rounds of M193 through a 14.5ā€ M4-type upper receiver from Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) with no lubrication, and without any rifle-caused malfunctions. So; why can I get my direct impingement rifles to repeatedly do things that conventional wisdom says they canā€™t do?ā€

Both these ARs were BCMs btw, imo the gold standard for AR15s.

6 Likes

Just yanking your chain, but I DID lose a buffer retainer pin spring today!

I also use a JP Enterprises bolt carrier group, so NO BREAKAGE.

6 Likes

I know , im hoping for an AR vs AK debate. Srdiver is starting caliber wars in another thread so why not?

6 Likes

Why? They seem to like each other. :wink:

StonerKalashnikov

5 Likes

Both are traitors in that pic.

4 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

Bump

5 Likes

Worthy bumps @Caw :+1:

6 Likes