How to Oil and Lubricate Your Gun (and how NOT to) ~ New in HD!

it is long but if you have ever wondered or why, sit back and learn.

9 Likes

Good advice. I see so many people using the wrong the lubricants (one step CLP) or way too much lubricant. For example, I’ve heard many people say that AR’s need to be run wet. Baloney! I apply lubricant ONLY to surfaces where actual metal-to-metal contact occurs. Any more is just attracting dirt.

5 Likes
5 Likes

According to the scientists who study such things, just a molecule of lubricant will protect parts in contact with one another,
Unless there’s abnormal friction or a loss of lubrication like for engine piston rings, where the oil is constantly being scraped away, there’s no need for excessive lubrication.

5 Likes

I lube my AR pretty much like Kyle Lamb does in the video. Ive ran my rifle hard in a couple carbine courses and I definitly prefer it to be a little more wet than a little more dry. Too much lube does gunk the rifle up quick though, I started seeing issues either way within 500 rounds.

3 Likes

For the BCG, Kyle put lube exactly where it needs to be…only on the metal contact surfaces. I oil the same places, but I use less. Lately I’ve been experimenting with fully synthetic grease instead of oil. The grease stays in place and doesn’t evaporate when the gun heats up. It only requires a very thin layer for silky smooth cycling. Does anyone else use grease?

5 Likes

Does Frog lube count?lol it was ok, definitely lubes the friction points better but dust/dirt sticks to it.

2 Likes

So far, the gun doesn’t appear to be any more or less dirty when using grease. AR’s are dirty girls regardless. :grin: The only difference I notice is the staying power…the grease is still in place after 200+ rounds. Either way, the gun has been equally reliable. I clean my rifle after each range session (200-300 rounds), so I haven’t tested the grease beyond that.

3 Likes

Ive went 7k without cleaning my AR and only using clp, it is super dirty at that point. With frog lube I only used it for a bit so it wasnt much of a test but you can see the dirt in it. I live in Eastern Oregon there is dust everywhere and alot of wind, it only takes a couple long range sessions to see where the dust ends up.

2 Likes

A little excessive?
2 Likes

Over lubrication can cause your rifle to gunk up, Kyle Lambs video is probably a better example of how you should lube your rifle.

2 Likes

Well I oiled my guns today after the bow hunt (I know but I take some everywhere I go). Took a lot of this info in when doing it

5 Likes

Get anything good?

3 Likes

Hope you got something Joe, at least a good time.

Myself, I store 'em wet. Clean 'em again before heading out with them, usually the night before. But I’m more of a one molecule thick and high temp grease in the right spot kind of shooter. I am big fan of bore snaking in the field before shooting to be sure there’s no oil, and again when their still warm. Oil down the bore for the last cooling cycle after snaking. Not sure it matters. It makes me happy though. Rust is insidious.

2 Likes

Back when I was in the ARMY, our DS told us to clean our M16A2 spotless and to lube very little. Basically the Kyle Lamb vid. While over lubing is not an issue, as far as reliability is concerned, it will cause issues if it gets to hot and starts smoking. Again, not an issue with operation, but that smoke gets in your eyes, starts watering up and ya can’t see, especially little targets far off. I learned this lesson the hard way, lol. And another thing, to not use WD-40, unless you’re in a clutch and need something. A small amount of WD-40 won’t really do any harm, on the AR platform anyways.

8 Likes

wow, that’s certainly some good thinking :+1:

6 Likes

Yeah that would be a sign lol

5 Likes

Not sure about the current issued CLP the Army uses, but when I was in (many, many years ago), the CLP we used would smoke bad when it got to hot, like mostly getting into the chamber and a really wet bolt. Could have also been caused by using WD-40 to blast all the small places and not cleaning it all off before wiping down with CLP.

6 Likes

Buddy at Ft Lewis used to clean his m4 by 1st soaking the metal parts in brake cleaner, scrubbed and bore brushed with it, then hosed it off with the garden hose, then he put everything in the dishwasher on power scrub, double rinse and heated dry. Armorall, oil, CLP and grease to finish. He swore by it. He was so fast he only had to sit out 3 poker hands. 1 for each stage. Lol

I guess that method is a ‘how not to’. He never complained about it smoking though, and it always passed inspection.

5 Likes

Using a bore snake and lube down the magazine area and on the bolt via the ejection port is good enough for most anything I am doing. After my Colts 6k with no cleaning I am convinced the AR dosnt need cleaned much , just lubed. I am not rucking through a desert or firing full auto though.

5 Likes