How to sight in rifle

Post your knowledge here.

9 Likes

This is a great method, I’ve used it several times. However, I would like to add that three shots are needed. Most scopes use a spring system to hold zero. When you fire the weapon it can cause the aim point to move a little as it centers itself. Also, many scopes have one click is 1/4" MOA at 100 yards.

4 Likes

Spot on. This is how I do it. Usually measure before adjusting. End at 100 shooting a group. Just to be sure. Works well. I am always seeing guys trying to sight in cranking down on the turrets randomly. Really bothers me. I try to explain, but its a hit or miss (haha). Most dont know that its as easy as measuring and adjusting.

3 Likes

A little math goes a long ways.

4 Likes

With coupons and rebates this cost minimal $$
Works great, saved a bunch of sight in ammo.
Aligned my Red dot in a couple second with it.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/laserlyte-universal-laser-boresighter

3 Likes

I do need to rezero my red dot on the AR now that we have access to a longer outdoor range. Does this method work with a red dot?

Also, slightly off topic but where can I find the information that tells me if the rifle is zero’d at one distance (say 50yds) how far will the rise/drop be at closer and further disances 10yds, 25yds and 100yds for example, using .223/5.56 out of aforementioned AR (16" / .223 wylde upper)? I need to be able to have some accurate information here so my wife and I can start to gain some skill on paper with the rifle at more than 25 yards which was the only disance we had available to us previously.

2 Likes

Works on any type of sight from iron to telescopic.

3 Likes

No need to be that precise. That’ll do nicely! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve also used one of these for years. Usually take it out at dusk, and sight it across the back yard. Gets me very close every time.

3 Likes