Howdy, I'm new to the group and to guns

I’m John, an old guy who is now set on purchasing a firearm for home protection. I’m here to learn.

25 Likes

Welcome from KY.

17 Likes

Hey John, welcome to the forum from CA

17 Likes

Welcome John, plenty of old farts around here so you’re in good…ish company. I’d recommend a shotgun for home defense. It’s about all you’ll find ammo for there’s days. Also handguns have a higher learning curve that takes more range time to get comfortable for home defense.

19 Likes

ah the new guy and home defense conundrum

if you look at recent events a ar15 style rifle (regardless of what MSM claims) is better as a home defense weapon, being easier to shoot, easier to get multi shots off and quite frankly no where as loud as a shotgun indoors.

and welcome

19 Likes

:point_up: this

17 Likes

Oh man, first post and already cracking me up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

as if anyone can purchase just one :wink:

Welcome!

17 Likes

Welcome @acutus
Great to have you here with us at Full 30!!

16 Likes

Welcome sir, please feel free to ask any questions your might have, remember everyone here has a prospective. If you are new to firearms and looking for some that I can confirm work and work reliably come checkout my channel Nighthawk Medic Shoots here and on youtube.com

15 Likes

Hi, welcome from Arizona!

For visualization training, I highly recommend the Active Self Protection YouTube channel.

For understanding self-defense law, check out Andrew Branca’s book The Law of Self Defense.

15 Likes

You come to the right place.
By the time you learn what you want. May be harder to get it.

Let us know which discipline will be your first folly into a bigger world.

16 Likes

Welcome to the forum @acutus

16 Likes

Welcome to the forum @acutus.
A shotgun will be the easiest to get comfortable with the basics of handling. A Mossberg 500 or Shockwave with one of these and some of these can be a very effective weapon with out as much recoil or noise.
As stated above, there are other choices in rifle and pistol that can be more effective when you are proficient. However you have to be able to find the gun and ammo for it before you can get that proficiency.

17 Likes

Welcome from Florida, I agree with the shotgun and mini shells. I have a pistol for the purpose but I had everything before the shortages.

16 Likes

Welcome @acutus

16 Likes

Listen to this man! :yep:

16 Likes

Welcome! I’m new to most weapons as well.

16 Likes

Why has it taken you so long ?

16 Likes

I can quit anytime i want. Ohh what’s that.
tenor-4

15 Likes

Welcome, from North Central Washington

17 Likes