HR 167 Transfers at Gun Shows

This bill is a waste of taxpayer dollars. The transfer of firearms must be accomplished by a licensed dealer now. Extending the requirement to the parking lot will have no effect because the people that would do this will simply leave the venue area to perform the transfer.
This transfer is illegal and those whom do this are aware they are acting in a criminal manner.
Criminals follow laws?

The Bill:

To prohibit the transfer of a firearm at a gun show by a person who is not a licensed dealer.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Prohibition on transfer of a firearm at a gun show by a person who is not a licensed dealer.

(a) In general.—Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(aa) (1) (A) It shall be unlawful for a person to transfer a firearm at a gun show, unless the person is a licensed dealer.

“(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to a transfer to a person licensed under this chapter.

“(2) In paragraph (1), the term ‘gun show’—

“(A) means an event or function—

“(i) held for the purpose of facilitating the commercial sale, transfer, or exchange of firearms; and

“(ii) at which a firearm is displayed, exhibited, offered for sale, transfer, or exchange, or sold, transferred, or exchanged; and

“(B) includes the entire premises, including parking areas, used to facilitate the sale, transfer, or exchange of firearms at the event or function.”.

(b) Penalties.—Section 924(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(8) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(aa) shall be fined an amount equal to $10,000 multiplied by the number of firearms involved in the violation, imprisoned not less than 1 year and not more than 2 years, or both.”.

In Texas, it is not illegal to have a person to person transfer anywhere. As long as the parties are eligible to own a firearm, it is none of the government’s business. With that said, I have only sold a couple of guns and that was to people I knew.