I DIDNT NEED , BUT I BOUGHT IT ANYWAY....

For monitoring barrel temps (especially during apocalyptic SHTF WROL End Times Mad Max mag dumps of furious urgent suppressive fire of death). Nice to change guns before barrel glows.

Does anyone else use a funnel and piece of plastic hose to pour water through the chamber? I used to just spew water from my mouth onto the barrel, but I got more than usual number of funny looks. The hiss and clouds of vapor were satisfying, though.

12 Likes

Just get one of these They work

13 Likes

I don’t shoot an AR all that often, but I’ve looked at similar devices that will work with an AK, etc. The fastest set up would seem to be an air pump with hose attached:

https://www.amazon.com/semai-Electric-Portable-Inflatable-Mattress/dp/B083R56TDC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=semai+Electric+Air+Pump+Portable+Quick+Fill+Air+Pump+for+Inflatable+Couch%2C+Air+Mattress+Bed%2CSwimming+Ring%2C+Support+Home+%26+Car+Use&qid=1602430604&sr=8-1

Of course, this assumes you’re near a vehicle to carry it and plug it into.

You see codgers :grampa:warning that you should cool the gun if the barrel is too hot to touch for less than a couple of seconds. :roll_eyes: I’m not really worried unless it gets over 500 degrees.

12 Likes

I just made this, hard to do one handed.lol

12 Likes

Very cool. I was wondering about those. Tim from MAC channel was using one in a past video. Glad to hear that it works. Caldwell stuff is hit-or-miss in my experience.

13 Likes

That blows.

11 Likes

I like the sticker I saw at the end of the video. :+1:

10 Likes

What a flippin waste of money. We use canned air.
Even have refillable ones.

7 Likes

The concept is a waste of time and money, why would you want to expend that amount of ammo unless you’re in a fire fight?. Accuracy goes to hell, ammo is too expensive to mag dump now a days.

9 Likes

Train as you fight. I agree that wild mag dumps are dumb. But, sustained fire really heats up the barrel eventually. No “time out” in a fire fight.

9 Likes

Interesting idea!

7 Likes

A barrel cooler is not used in a fight, it is for cooling the barrel between shots when sighting a gun in. especially a hunting rifle where your first shot at a deer will be on a cold barrel. Or it could be used at the range but not made to use in a firefight.

12 Likes

Yeah, at 5 to 8 dollars a can, you keep using it.

10 Likes

There’s a reason the military swaps out barrels. Water is practical, however. Already available (or should be) and a better conductor of heat than air. Hence, water cooled barrels on machine guns. I really like the cooling fins on the old Hotchkiss–you could keep firing that until you either ran out of ammo or people to rip in half.
4275db18a1fc4bae1f30e9487031174e

12 Likes

Again…were not talking about combat. it’s for sighting in hunting rifles or cooling between shots at the range. i have yet to see cooling fins on a hunting rifle, and changing a barrel on a hunting rifle is not needed. i could get into the water cooled thing, but won’t. i have shot a few of them. it’s not a one man operation.

12 Likes

I ordered a heavier hammer spring and firing pin designed for the steel case ammo for the 7.62x39 at pistol. I also bought a buffer tube so I can use the pistol brace unless they whos initials will not be uttered say I can’t in which case I’ll put the foam in it. I’ll update after I put the parts in and test it. A guy at the range says his dads works good after doing the pin and spring but the guy behind the counter at the gun store says he gave up on his and bought and AK.

13 Likes

Understood. I don’t hunt. As long as I hit the four inch circle every time, I couldn’t care less about thermal POI shift. I just don’t want to screw my barrel over too badly or wait forever on a hot day for things to cool down. Enough reason for me.

12 Likes

:smile:

10 Likes

You missed the part about refillable ones.

I dont use them on a semi, I use it for the 24in Shielen barrel on the bolt gun.

10 Likes

Was cold and windy today, but these results seem similar with an AK. Every 30 round mag results in about 100 degrees. This means you could fire what’s in your rifle, plus four mags from your chest rig, all at top speed–without exceeding about 500 degrees. Not that I plan to do this. However, it’s an interesting mental reference point.

12 Likes