I need to relax, and so the best way for me to relax? Skyrim

If you came in here then you either; a) like me and or what I have to say or more likely b) you love Skyrim or c) want to know what this “Skyrim” is that I speak of.

For those who are in group A and C but don’t know what Skyrim is here’s a full playthrough I recorded several months ago on my YT channel. Skip around the video to see some gameplay and more importantly the awesome music (the music being more than half the reason I play–probably three quarters to be honest).

To illustrate the music point a bit here’s a few of the tracks in the game that are my favorites. I often play these when I want to relax. The first one’s image in my head is that of the mountains in ID. I find it motivating to listen to. The second one better give you goosebumps or you need to check your pulse. FYI, the first and last videos were loops taken from the Mt. Rainier National Park stream.

For group B, I chose the PS4 version this time since it is one of the last systems I haven’t played it on.

Anyone else a fan of Skyrim or Elder Scrolls in general? I’d love to get a thread going about it.

With all the stuff happening today one needs to decompress and when I’m not able to go to the range and put holes through paper targets for practice I like to sit down and relax to something that is inherently relaxing to me. That being music or in this case an exploration game with fantastic music.

4 Likes

I like Skyrim. Who do you side with the Imperials or Nords?

3 Likes

If you like Skyrim, try this:

Its medieval but not fantasy, its based on actual historical events and the fight system is based off real martial arts out of old fechtbuchs (fight books). The world and storyline is amazing. Its my favorite RPG.

3 Likes

Most of the time I side with the Nords, but occasionally I need to side with the Imperials and wipe out that rebel scum. :wink: Lately I’ve been playing as a Khajiit instead of my usual stealth wood elf.

I’ve heard of it. My concern is I don’t like frustrating games and I’ve heard this is difficult like Dark Souls and has a perma death mode. Not a fan of either. I like to relax. I might watch a full playthrough to see it though as I love the genre a lot.

3 Likes

It can be hard, it takes training with the fight master to get competent. You literally get faster more coordinated and stronger as you get your ass beat training. Its got more of a “realistic” feel unlike darksouls which just likes to be hard to be hard for no real reason other than making it a challenge. Its a far better game than Dark Souls though but definitely on the harder side.

Another good one is Lord of Rings: Shadow of Mordor. Its like War of the North on PS2, real dsrk gritty and violent. Its even mature rated and only $20 at wally world.

2 Likes

I

2 Likes

Might be my issue. My hands don’t have the dexterity they used to. A few of my fingers have arthritis. I’ve been struggling playing Borderlands 2 because of it.

2 Likes

Got it. Fantastic game. One of my favorites this console generation.

2 Likes

Back to the topic at hand though, I used to go Nord but somehow started agreeing with Imperials cause. I feel they are the best long term choice , they are a professional army with solid logistics. I dont do magic though, i run a bow and a one handed steel sword with no shield and only fancy clothing with no armor. I put over a 1,000 hours through two character builds and probably 500+ hours threw several others. Skyrim is a great game I hope 6 lives up to its predecessor.

2 Likes

Oh it better. I hear they are secretly working on a new engine anyway even though they said they aren’t. They are using real world 3D scanning technology on geology across the planet for it. Yummy.

Bow+stealth is my go to 99% of the time. Since I’ve literally played Skyrim over 3,000 hours total across all platforms I think I’m going to do a self imposed challenge to liven it up a bit.

For this run, I am going to do a club+magic only run. Where only clubs, magic and shouts (also magic) are acceptable use. Only light armor as well. Think peasant with magical abilities. Haha. Gonna be a challenge.

2 Likes

Makes sense, its not a button masher though. You hit L1 when a green blip pops up to riposte (block+strike attack), it gets easier (as in the game slows down) as you get better. The attacks are like “For Honor” but better where you press a direction on the d-pad to target an area then attack with either R1 to slash or R2 to stab. You can kind of target body parts to get around armor too. Really neat but technical combat system.

2 Likes

Yea and 8k with ray tracing ability on the ps5… its going to be amazing… sucks that google stadia stole Baulders gate as an exclusive though

1 Like

They better tell us about the Dweemer next game those ruines in Skyrim are such a tease…I cant complain too much ,at least we got to find out more about the snow knife-ears.

2 Likes

I’m sure the next XBOX will have the same. I’ll again get both consoles, though it will depend if you can still play games from disc offline and the fact that they will have a disc drive at all. I refuse to do the digital only bullshit. Its physical releases or nothing for me.

Not really too concerned about 8k since I won’t have an 8k TV for a while, I’m still waiting on a 4k with HDR!

I wonder if my PC will run it since my last upgrade last year. I may need to upgrade again just for ES6 as long as Bethesda doesn’t F it up with bullshit lootboxes and micro transactions.

Oh, and fuck google stadia. Hope it fails miserably…which it will.

2 Likes

I agree , fuck google but Baulders gate was epic. It was a rival to Elder Scrolls back in the day. Pretty disappointing, tbh.

2 Likes

Hope you’ve been having fun and relaxing @Mister_Torgue Wish I could play that game, but my internet wouldn’t support gaming.
I too had to take a break. Watched some movies. Drinking my decaf coffee (doctor’s orders) So no more staying awake till 7am. :grimacing:

3 Likes

You dont need internet, its a single player game.

3 Likes

ohhhhh

3 Likes

Yup and that’s why it’s perfect to relax. It’s just you and a large world to walk around in. I recommend the PC or XBOX One version over the PS4 though. Played it all day yesterday (during my slow work shift) and my PS4 crashed a ton of times. My Xbox One never crashes.

Are you an insomniac or does caffeine keep you up at night? If you don’t mind me asking. Caffeine makes me sleepy—hows that for being weird. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Exact opposite experience here my xbox used to crash all the time with skyrim but my ps3 and ps4 handled it fine. Im not sure one system in necessarily better or worse for this. Xbox wins big time for mod support though, I still prefer playing my PS.

2 Likes