Ideal Gun Portfolio

I have an old Fobus holster that sits up high and tilts slightly forward. With a loose fitting t shirt, It’s barely noticeable. If its jacket weather, invisible. Besides, average Joe doesn’t notice much anyway. You would be surprised at how little people actually are aware of. I used to be real self conscious about printing. Once we got our open carry law here in Texas, i quit worrying about it. i ALWAYS carry concealed but, unless half the gun is showing, average citizen doesn’t notice AT ALL. An officer certainly will but that’s nothing to worry about. They pretty much know you’re licensed. If not, they will ask. Still no big deal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the good news about Texas. I used to live there (Dallas area), and was always worried whenever I went to the gun range. Back then, there was no concealed carry allowed and you were expected to go straight from home to range, and back home, whenever carrying guns. I have a home in Florida and the police there don’t allow any kind of printing (I am overly cautious, so have not had any direct dealings with them, but this is what I have heard many times from various sources). In fact, there was a proposed law to provide some leniency about printing, but it did not pass. So, I get it - don’t print no matter what, at least for Florida. So, sounds like I will have to continue thinking small(er) for concealed carry as I don’t expect to move back to Texas anytime soon.

1 Like

Just when i was starting to like you :face_with_raised_eyebrow::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Then you’ll hate me mate. :wink: I hate it here in Texas and this is where I was born. We are looking to move to Idaho, Montana (or maybe northern Arizona) in a few years.

1 Like

Hahahaha, I could do Montana. i would ask why but I’ve probably derailed this thread enough already.

3 Likes

Let’s bring it to another topic!

Like here:

1 Like

KeithP, et al: I have nothing against Texas (except for the Ragweed and the tornados). Actually, I miss Dallas very much. I don’t think I will ever get to live there again, though, as my wife does not want to live there (she does not want us to live close to my ex-wife). Don’t want any more ex wives.

Regarding where else to live - main thing, pick one of the ‘free’ states - that is, where the gun laws are reasonable (so, no to California, Hawaii, and most of the northeast USA).

2 Likes

That sounds like a county song.:grinning:

The older I get, the less I like the heat. I could see myself living somewhere with snow.

3 Likes

KeithP:

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I have been having computer problems.

Yeah, I am more interested in mild climates nowadays, too. However, would also like to live in a state that does not have a state income tax. Last I recall, that includes Florida (where my home is); Texas; Nevada; and to a limited degree, Tennessee. Not sure if I would move from Florida, but who knows? For the most part, Florida is gun friendly (another requirement), so not highly motivated to move.

@JohnB between those and only those Tennessee is the only one that would be appealing to me because of the mountains and is cooler than the others. :wink:

But for us we are going west state income tax or not.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about state income tax. Not having that here, it doesn’t cross my mind. VERY good point. I want to say that is a bad thing but, if you consider how all the different taxes add up, it may not be as bad as one thinks. One would have to spend some time doing the math. I dug this up…
https://www.thoughtco.com/us-states-with-no-state-income-tax-3321623

1 Like

Mister_Torgue, KeithP:

I found this chart on Wikipedia ( State income tax - Wikipedia ) :

Red states = no individual state income tax
Yellow states = tax only dividends and interest

So, Mister_Torgue, you can be in the West and still enjoy no state income tax.

1 Like

Only one state shown there would losely qualify with the wife, Wyoming. But lack of jobs and it is very much colder than our other choices puts that last on our list. Too bad because it would be number two on my list. The other states in red I don’t lie the politics.

Anyway I’ll get us back on topic. I would like to add a supplemental item to my .22LR entry. I would like to also add a .17 HMR as well. It’s also a great little cartridge and pretty inexpensive.

2 Likes

Absolutely love the .17HMR. I won’t even consider hunting with a .22 anymore. Just keep them around for shooting cans and clay pigeons.

2 Likes

Mister_Torgue, Comanchero45:

So, what is so great about .17 HMR?

I have no exposure to that round, but I did have an air rifle in .177 that could reach 1600 fps (fast, though probably not as fast as .17 HMR). Does all that extra speed really get you anything?

Very accurate, shoots flat and has almost no recoil. In a nutshell. :smiley:

1 Like

That all sounds nice, Mister_Torgue. But what can you hunt with it?

Mosquitoes, grasshoppers and house flies but not horse flies, you will need to move up to a bb gun for those.

4 Likes

Funny ! jf89.

I prefer big bores, myself, though have guns in medium and small calibers, too. I just have trouble understanding what such a small caliber is really for, beyond really small animals (I am guessing 10 pounds, or less).

1 Like

Everything said by Mr. Torgue, plus the projectile is a copper jacketed hollow point or ballistic tip that literally explodes on impact. I use it for hunting squirrels, rabbits and coyotes, and it is very effective on yotes at 100 yards or less. Never shot them with the 17 beyond that range. I also love the fact that I almost never have a ricochet with this round. Unlike 22, it usually disintegrates when it hits something. Much better in closer towards populated areas imo.
One piece of advice though; if you hunt rabbits or squirrels for meat, head shoot them. If you body shoot squirrels with it, you’ll be trying to find a part you can salvage. It’s literally like setting off a grenade inside them.

2 Likes