If you were starting your collection from scratch, what order of guns would you purchase?

If I were starting my collection from scratch, or someone wanted to get started in guns, this would be my recommended order of buying guns.

1. 9mm double stack
  2. .223 “pmag adapter” rifle (I’d recommend an AR-15)
  3. .22lr training rifle
  4. .22lr training pistol
  5. Bolt action long range rifle in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor (If you have the budget, an AR-10)
  6. PCC (great for home defense and training)
  7. Upgrade optics and triggers
  8. 12 Gauge shotgun (unless you want to go bird hunting, then this would be higher)
  9. Mil spec for fun rifle (like a Garand)
  10. Repeat entire list until you’ve sold everything else you own

Quite the subjective list, so I’m curious what everyone else’s recommended order would be.

6 Likes

Good subject. it’s almost sidetracking me to thinking in hindsight what should I have bought rather than all the things I’ve bought & wish I hadn’t lol

4 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t have made several of my early purchases.

My first handgun was a .40 instead of a 9mm. I waited too long to get a .22lr. I bought a .22lr that I didn’t like and sold. I probably should have bought my 6.5 Creedmoor in a different order and/or spent less money on it. I LOVE that rifle, but I probably would have been better off with something different.

I also wish I went to more classes earlier on. I would be better than I currently am.

5 Likes

5 Likes

EDC pistol - minimum 9mm
Pump .22 LR rifle
Double barrel 20 gauge shotgun
Deer rifle - currently rubbing and purring up against my .260 Rem bolt-action.

After that it’s for fun.

Scoped .22 LR rifle.

Then some more pistols. :wink:

I probably wouldn’t repeat the mil-surp rifles because they’re just too damn expensive now (ammo for them as well) so I would next go with a heavy-barrel varmint rig. The .224 Valkyrie is looking good. I might even break down for a MSR . . . maybe.

If I hunted waterfowl I probably would have gone with a pump or semi 12 ga second.

4 Likes

I couldn’t or wouldn’t afford some of my “collectibles” now.
Ie; My used mint $300 Python,[bought in '79] would still be in the store at the $2k + they want now.

Wouldn’t pay today’s prices for much of our items that became collectibles while we owned them.

5 Likes

It’s very unfortunate isn’t it?

Milsurps in particular are stupid expensive due to import restrictions. I really wish those would get lifted.

7 Likes

So, no one was fooled the first time. So it was reloaded a second time.
download

6 Likes

LOL, yeah, I guess the bump ratio could be lowered for this category :laughing: :laughing:

I changed it from 1 to -5 so we’ll see when this pops up again

4 Likes

Since this thread is at the top, I’ll bite.

I don’t have a collection. I just wish I was “woke” years ago when I was young, and I would have started a collection back then.
I would probably have a nice AK somewhere. Or two. Or three. I priced them yesterday. Ouch.
And maybe even a few AR-15s.
I also wouldn’t have the 1911 or that revolver.
I may have found a couple of nice Nylon 66 too, at a reasonable cost, which would be nice.
So here I am, just now getting started on firearms and am years behind where I should be.
But again, just wish I was paying attention years ago and realized where this country was heading in regards to firearms. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Ooops. Didn’t mean to reply to you @ArmedEyeDoc

6 Likes

Make hay while you can @RedAngel the AR platform has never been so affordable or so many options.

9 Likes

fact

LPK’s were unavailable in the past, stock up

5 Likes

Well…
actually I started my collection in the early 90’s so overall its not bad.
In retrospect…
More selective about the milsurps I collected early on.
I would have bought more ak’s for 100 dollars each.
I would have bought a ton of preban stuff to resell now.

6 Likes

These acronyms are kickin my butt. What is LPK?

4 Likes

LPK is Lower Parts Kit usually for AR15.

6 Likes

Thank you @ArmedEyeDoc

I heard on Guns n Gadgets that Cuomo is trying to ban any gun parts ordered online. Or make it to where any part you order you have to have it sent to FFL and it has to be serialized. I sure hope this is not something that starts up in other states.

6 Likes

I’d be rich now if I never started a collection.

7 Likes

Rats will be rats
The vermin governors of NJ and NY try and out do each other screwing the law abiding.
One rat screws ya and the other rat goes “good idea”
Meanwhile their filth ruins what they infest.

Sadly the scum out breeds us Patriots.
The results are inevitable.

5 Likes