I'm Considering a Bulk Purchase of Ammo - Good Idea?

Hello all,

So I’m considering picking up a bulk purchase of ammo, off SG ammo. Typically, I use 50-100 rounds per month. So something like this: https://www.sgammo.com/product/fiocchi-ammo-sale/1600-round-ammo-can-9mm-luger-115-grain-fmj-ammo-fiocchi-9ap, would last me a good long time.

My normal range price for 9mm Luger ammo is $25 for a box of 50 rounds. Purely from an economic standpoint, this makes sense. Something like this case would last me over a years worth or range trips. But at the same time, I don’t know anything about safe storage of ammo (outside the obvious no ovens/very warm places). Does ammo go bad? Is there something else to consider outside of that?

11 Likes

really - i get all poopy when I have to pay C$15 (US$11) per 50

however at that price of with shipping works out to $0.18 or 18 cents a round

4 Likes

We almost always buy ammo in bulk. More economical and “handy.”
Storage isn’t a problem really either. Dry I think is the most important aspect. Security of ammo is up to you. Not something we worry too much about.

6 Likes

I buy bulk always for firearms I plan to shoot a lot.
7.92 X 57
9MM Para
7.62 X 51
303 British

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a good point. Security isn’t something I actually considered. Though I can’t say its something I’m concerned about either. I don’t live in a bad neighbourhood, and nobody else in my house would have an interest in ammo. What would humidity have to do with anything?

4 Likes

Are you talking about the one I listed? Cause I, if I did the math correctly, the range charges $0.50 a round.

3 Likes

@mattig89ch
Your bulk purchase is a good price. Far more intelligent than spending 3x higher prices at the range. I store ALL my ammo in sealed metal ammo cans, but it’s mostly for convenience of quicky transporting for me, not necessary. Keep ammo in a cool dry place & itll last for years and years. Ive got 20 year old rifle ammo my dad loaded that ive kept in a file cabinet, still performs great.

7 Likes

the bulk works out to .18 so,

2 Likes

To answer your questions:

1. Bulk purchases will save you money. Period. I buy toilet paper in bulk because it saves money. Ammo is no different. Some vendors offer free shipping, so shop around. https://palmettostatearmory.com/fiocchi-shooting-dynamics-9mm-115gr-fmj-50rds-9ap.html

2. Having a years worth of range ammo is great, but it’s not enough. Do you remember the ammo shortage after Sandy Hook? It lasted two years.

3. Ammo will last for decades if properly stored. Consider using mil-spec ammo cans with desiccant packs to absorb moisture if necessary. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/799452/hydrosorbent-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-40-gram-protects-3-cubic-feet-canister

In other words, always buy in bulk. If it’s on sale, buy even more. :+1:

6 Likes

You must have multiple women in the house🤣
When I was married, I use to swear my ex & my daughter were eating it or something! When I was single, 1 damn roll seemed to last for weeks!

5 Likes

Im wondering the same thing. I go through about 20 rolls every 2 weeks, I dont get it.

The dog does eat a few though

4 Likes

It’s definitely the ladies of the house!:rofl:

4 Likes

I wasn’t involved with shooting after the sandy hook crisis. I’ve only been involved for 2ish years or so. The only ammo shortage I know about is the .22 shortage, which I didn’t even know was an issue until I saw some people complaining about it. Is .22 really that popular? I thought 5.56 was the popular one.

Though I do have some silicon dehydration packs I could use to keep it dry… And yea, I am buying ammo that list as coming in ‘cans’. So I think they’d have those metal storage containers…right?

4 Likes

10 Likes

Are those 50 cal cans?

4 Likes

Looks like all 50 cal cans and two 30 cal upper left…

4 Likes

YES, all 50 cal but the top 2.

6 Likes

Correct sir.

6 Likes

Now is certainly the time to buy cheap and stack deep. And FWIW, SG is the best online source to buy in bulk.

Lastly, if you’re only looking at a couple thousand rounds you plan to shoot in a year’s time you don’t have any long term storage needs. Keep it simple: leave it in the box it ships in and use as needed.

5 Likes

Sgammo is a great company I buy from often. I have bulk ammo in the military ammo cans for storage and keep one safe with heat rods going for my smaller packs

5 Likes