Im thinking of getting A DSA FAL, any advice?

Good eye! Those are cheap display models from china ( gift), but if you like the real thing.

6 Likes

@Caw
Sorry for the derailing this thread everyone.

1 Like

@Caw
There’s always parts kit rifles!

Boom! Thread back on track!

6 Likes

Yeah I really do think it’s worth it. That’s only 50 rounds of .308 worth of ammo.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in the reply. I’m finishing a brake.

![image|666x500](upload://cAKpUFX25zRUwA5GxNopLMZW8Es.jpeg)

3 Likes

Would it make it any better if the brake was going on one of those rifles you don’t like?

1 Like

So Coonan recievers are gtg but you dont recommend cast recievers? I thought Coonan only made cast FAL receivers?

2 Likes

@gunplumber is a top authority on FAL receivers, what to purchase and what not to https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

2 Likes

They are, but they have a much better quality casting and material. What I said is still true, a forged part will be stronger than cast, or billit for that matter. This reply is from a gal builder that is also a steel quality engineer.

2 Likes

One more thing to consider. The fal’s locking bolt does not have lugs that lock against the cast receiver like a AK47.On a AK After 2000 rounds your head space will be losing ground. The FAL receiver only has to hold the barrel and lock to the lower.

2 Likes

How do AKs go 50k+ rounds without headspece being an issue?

1 Like

Walk when others run and run when others walk

yes, there is a lull in the market, so buy now before the next wave, take advantage.

1 Like

FAL is a fantastic weapon and if you are doing homework with intent to purchase we could likely narrow down the good,bad ugly, I know DSA serial # prefixes do tell a story, DS vs DSA I do not know about new inventory

But they are not the only option

3 Likes

Imbel is better in my opinion.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: a real AK47 has a forged trunnion and will go ~30,000 before accuracy starts to fail (barrel). Can a AK47 run to 50k? Yes, but at what cost.
The Cheap AK47 that have cast trunnions are having bad head space problems, and that is a issue you don’t want.
But don’t take my word for it, always do your own research.

4 Likes

Im just going off of this. They get 80k+ out of Wasrs before running into issues.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/03/how-many-rounds-can-an-ak-fire-before-it-breaks-down/

2 Likes

Yes, and they have forged trunnions.

3 Likes

I’d recommend checking out the PTR-91 with the picatinny scope mount. If you want to get serious, look at their free float barrel model.

Then check out HK Parts: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp

For upgrades. Their upgraded trigger is pretty awesome and you can even get a M-Lok forend for it.

3 Likes

Are you a fan of the charging handle?

1 Like

I’m primarily an AR-15 guy, I prefer the AR-15 charging handle. I don’t really have strong positive or negative feelings about the G3 style charging handle. The HK slap is nice though.

One thing I should toss out is to make sure you get a model with a traditional lever mag release, instead of the button mag release. Doesn’t matter if it’s a PTR-91 or FAL. The lever releases make reloads so much easier. The only reason why some models have the button mag release is because of crappy import restrictions.

3 Likes