Imagine old world workmanship on an American Icon

For the Language Challenged CZ is possibly buying Colt Defense (which will include Colt Canada)

12 Likes

Years ago I bought an “1851” from Cabelas on sale only after sending them a e-mail to verify it wasn’t a Pietta. They gave a nebulous answer and I ordered . . . and it was a Pietta. Well, I kept it anyway. The sear and trigger were recycled sardine can metal and soon rounded off. It has a 1/2 oz trigger pull now, manifestly unsafe, but if I hold the trigger and shoot with the hammer it’s a plinking hoot. So for what I use it for I worked around it. The timing is good and the barrel seems good. I once hit two 2" x 4" x 4" blocks off the hip from holstered at 15 yards shooting as fast as I could - under two seconds - with a witness. That lead me to tend to believe some of the wild west tales.

That said - it would be wonderful to have an 1851 or 1860 made right. But for what it is the metalurgy is less than the nostalgia.

9 Likes

So Colt gets bought by foreigners, Remmington goes the way of the do-do, Browning is owned by foreigners… Are there any of the old school American companies left?

5 Likes

Mossberg?

6 Likes

Ruger?

5 Likes

Savage?

6 Likes

Ruger made some bp revolvers. Think they discontinued them a few years back. They are good to go if you can find one.

4 Likes

Interesting. Here’s an article about it in English:

4 Likes

Maybe they should not have cut off ARs to the civi market, hate to see it happen though

6 Likes