In-the-ear protection suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions all. Iā€™ve got some research to do based on them. :+1:

Will update once I find a pair that works for me and Iā€™ll explain why/how etc.

5 Likes

You mean youse guys donā€™t just pick up some 9mm cases out of the dirt, wipe them off on your pants and use them for ear protection.
No joke, thatā€™s all we used for years.
They work surprisingly well, too.
Unless you have really big ears, then you need size .44.

7 Likes

I have the Surefire and they work great. They are extremely comfortable and no problem doubling up with muffs when needed.

5 Likes

I just went to Costco hearing centre and had them make me a pair custom plugs.

5 Likes

Whoa really? Does Samā€™s do that? And how well do that stay in your ear? Pics?

3 Likes

up hear (here) they do (costco - we donā€™t have samā€™s), they stay in your ears because they are molded to fit, and you have to ā€œdigā€ them out if you donā€™t go with the string option.
I wear them for work because the foamies would give me a headache after a couple hours.

3 Likes

How much did they cost?

3 Likes

C$49.99

4 Likes

Not a bad price for something COMFORTABLE AND EFFECTIVE!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Any idea what the dB rating they are?

3 Likes

I second the Surefire Sonic earpro.

https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

The trick is measuring your ear to make sure you get the right size. For what they cost and what they do I think theyā€™re a good product. Without having experience with many others, Iā€™m sure there are others that cost more, but might be more suitable for you.

aI think it was MSA or another company that had earbud types that also had the same feature as the Howard Leight Impacs or MSA or Peltors with the ambient noise amplyfing abilities. But those were way out of my price range (over $200). I already have over the ear ones that have that feature and I like those.

6 Likes

if I was a betting man - 24-26 dbNR

4 Likes

All, I went ahead and bought the Decibullz to try out first. What sold me on it was the fact that you can remold it if needed. I may still buy the SureFire and or the Costco/ Samā€™s option as well because I like multiple options in case I bring along new or other shooters with me to the range.

Will give my impression after my next range visit which weather permits will get next week when I zero the new reflex on the AR, flip ups on my 9mm PCC and my first outing with my Egyptian pharaoh called Maadi Helwan. :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I love these. Theyā€™re affordable and allow you to still hear/engage in conversation while preventing hearing loss.

7 Likes

copycat :cat::cat:

3 Likes

What is the NRR in those? Are they electronic?

4 Likes

24dB
Not electronic

5 Likes

Those are the Surefire sonic defenders that is what I use. They work awesome! I do use muffs on top of them if shooting big bore stuff like my 50 BMG

7 Likes

moved on from the custom molded ear plugs to peltor TEP100

sad part - they are not cheap and depending on which foam ā€œplugā€ you can up to 30db protection and more than 16 hours before needing a recharge
The wife really likes her peltor EEP100
other than price, colour, and not being waterproof She wears Herā€™s all the time

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the Walkers ear buds. There is a collar thatā€™s worn that houses the electronics. They werenā€™t costly, the downside? They only last for 4 hours. The frigginā€™ collar goes around the neck, why not put in more robust batteries!!??? Are you kidding me?

5 Likes