Increasing Myelin Production to Maximize Training Efficiency

Not sure how many people would want to geek out to this level, but I at least have a short summary in the article so you don’t have to spend hours digging into medical and scientific journals like I did.

I’m a training junkie if y’all haven’t picked up on that already. I’m trying to learn how to learn so I can learn more, faster. I’ve learned a lot about all sorts of different training methods and techniques, and this past week I’ve dug into the medical side of things. Essentially trying to figure out what lifestyle changes I can make that will help me learn more, faster.

Myelin is critical for this process - I’ve known that. The question came down to, how can I develop more myelin, faster?

This short blog post is the results of my latest round of digging.

If you’re a training junkie like me, consider following me on social media.

https://twitter.com/lockedbackguns

7 Likes

Definitely going to check it out. I read a fair amount about myelin production when my children were born because it always seems a good thing to have more when it comes to learning new skills

6 Likes

Interesting. I hadn’t heard of myelin until now. Thanks for posting this.

4 Likes

Understanding how to create myelin efficiently is critical for speeding up the learning process.

It’s quite fascinating really.

4 Likes

Yes, and thanks for summarizing your findings! Sounds like proper diet and exercise works for that as well.

3 Likes

Muscle memory may not be a permanent thing.
Continued practice and participation is still required to keep skills.
It’s reportedly a combination of physical skills and repetition, eye sight, nutrition, all combined to describe what is called muscle memory.
Lacking any one of the essential ingredients and it starts to fade away.
Aging is definitely a factor, too.
I can verify that without a doubt.

4 Likes

Very much so.

Recency plays a big part in how readily and confidently we can perform a task.

While “you never forget how to ride a bike” is a thing. If you haven’t ridden a bike in a decade, you certainly can be shaky when you first get on.

There’s a lot of studying going on into how important your most recent rep is.

More frequent shorter training sessions is more important than infrequent longer sessions. That’s another point of research I’ve been digging into.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree. I started Steel Challenge/USPSA this year after a decade-long absence. I probably lost 80% of my muscle memory during those 10 years. My skills returned quickly during the first few matches, but I will never be the same. My eyesight and reflexes are 10 years older now. :older_man:

2 Likes