Interesting lecture on Historic martial arts

It is an hour and a half long but the info is pretty interesting. Most of the Historical European Martial Arts community is fairly liberal but this guy dosnt appear to be. Might be because he was/is a first responder in NY but he advocates gun ownership and does a good job of drawing parallels between weapon ownership in medieval times to gun ownership now.

From competition, to children play fighting with plastic guns to military use he goes over the differences and how they relate to our ancestors martial arts. Ive heard people pouting that he refers to gun laws as “silly and stupid” then makes the point that we as a disarmed society are seeing mass murders because we are unarmed. At the 25 min. mark he makes a great point.

7 Likes

The guy presenting the lecture is a pretty big name in Historical European Martial Arts, at least in the Liechtenauer/“German longsword” tradition and a lifelong practitioner of Japanese martial arts.

I think he mentions training in Toyama Ryu which is a Japanese sword art based on killing people that was founded by the Imperial Japanese Army in 1925. If you’ve ever heard of the 100 person kill competition where two Japanese soldiers massacred people with swords for fun then were charged with war crimes then you have an idea of who founded this art. The kill competition is pretty controversial not just due to the act but there’s doubts it even happened or that thier accounts are accurate, either way the art has a dark history and its heavily based on the martial aspect of the art instead of tradition.

Which was a part of this:

5 Likes

Im also going to spam his book. Really good breakdown on the bio mechanics on cutting.

A review of the book off youtube:

5 Likes

Because they were trained to be?

Had their firearms taken, forced into MA for defense, now drink the kool-aid?

4 Likes

There’s a ton of people just in it to play swords and nerd out on the academics. Some even whine about wanting to take the word European out of the name because it sounds “racist” :roll_eyes:

I dont get thier mindset, tbh.

3 Likes

To be fair there are plenty of decent people in those circles. It just attracts some questionable close minded folks too. I’m not in it to bang heads over politics though so I just ignore them.

3 Likes

Sounds interesting. Will check it out when I have more time.

4 Likes

After the first 30 minutes he dosnt mention guns much. The rest after that is him talking about various things such sport vs the martial context of historic martial Arts

3 Likes

I trained Aikido back home before college. When I went back to visit my sensei, I think I told him that just the readiness to attack gives an aura that can scare off an attacker and ultimately avoid conflict. If the enemy knows that I’d never draw my sword, it has no value as a deterrent. He didn’t seem too happy about that.

4 Likes

That cover reminds me of the ending of Rob Roy.

3 Likes

It’s of a 15th century fechtbuch(fight book) from Germany. They think the judicial duel/fencing instructor that made that picture book made it as a resumè. The fact that he worked for the Vehmic court also suggests he was an assasin/mercenary. Theyve also dug up old records from city archives of his legal issues for killing or attempting to kill a knight…a real gung-ho battle hardened one at that. Theres also record of him cutting down a robber-knight.

https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Hans_Talhoffer#Copyright_and_License_Summary

https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Hans_Talhoffer/Württemberg#Long_Sword

They also think he was an inventor and was very well educated with an interest in ratio, mathematics, astrology, onomastics, among other stuff.

2 Likes

That was a good scene though.

Another great image from Hans Talhoffer. Running from the guy looked just as painful as fighting him

Screenshot_20200427-115230(1)

2 Likes