Internet Browsers

So looking into TOR/VPN’s closer, and I don’t know any of this for certain

It looks like when your online (normally) data packets are sent out and intercepted/resent at server locations along the way

a traceroute shows not always on a straight path, perhaps largest bandwidth?

TOR/VPN reroutes to selected locations with the idea the end location does not know where you came from

But selecting TOR/VPN you bounce from what appears to be coffee shops, hotels, gas stations (determined using IP/ longitude/latitude) and I’m guessing unknown to the hosts (pirated locations) I can not get why this seems to be a trustworthy way to surf the web?

In other words to hide your location you trust all the detailed (extensive) data from your device and network to unknown people using potentially hijacked locations (a guess) which I can also guess could be used to locate your specific network (front door)

Anyone more knowledgeable or actually using these with comfort?

I have a VPN built in my browser and turned it on, went for a virtual walk and whoa

did not like the scenery along the way.

2 Likes

I knew you were operating out of Russia Robert!

1 Like

:man_facepalming: I make it too easy

3 Likes

always said Robert was a Russian Bot

3 Likes

We prefer cyborg thank you very much :robot:

1 Like

Which browser? I’m ready to ditch my main browser, Comodo Dragon for something that isn’t google-based (or firefox based because I hate firefox).

Tor seems like it would work for me but my remaining questions are pretty important about it. First, just the act of downloading Tor means you are added to the N | S | A’s watch list (source). That’s a no-no for me. I don’t do any illegal activity but I sure as hell don’t want to be on any sort of “list”.

3 Likes

For now I’m sticking with

The Chinese own it but its likely a matter of time before they own it all

1 Like

Not computer savvy, but what do people think of duckduckgo??

Haven’t used it, tried dogpile and a couple others but just go ahead and put it all on the GNSAGLE search instead

May I ask how you would know who is looking?? Not looking for stealth but maybe a bit of ambiguity. Just now starting to get the idea that I would like Google and others to be looking elsewhere while I am trolling the net. Thanks.

Just because you’re not paranoid or interesting doesn’t mean they (see link) are not watching

https://forum.full30.com/t/onyx-nsa-never-gonna-stop/5426

it all feeds into AI

I cannot use Opera again. Its slow, too bloated and I just don’t like the interface. Sadly, I DO like the interface of Comodo Dragon / Chrome and that’s a shame. I wonder if there is an alternative download location for Tor that won’t put me on any sort of watch list so I can try it out.

I tried it for a few months. I like the idea and thought behind it but I found myself not using it and I went back to the evil empire. Something just seemed off about it and I couldn’t put my finger on it. I’ll probably try it again. If you’re a casual surfer it would be perfect.

Ah, yeah, its Chinese, but its not slow by any-means

Ironically Infowars mentioned that yesterday (Chinese part) and also mentioned UGEtube, need some recognition coming this way

BTW you log into Tor network, so the download isn’t an issue, to my knowledge

It used to be slow, perhaps the Chinese sped it up? The interface is still garbage like Firefox. But that’s my personal preference.

I forgot to also mention my second question from my original post. I don’t want to see any of the dark or deep web stuff, just the happy-go-lucky top layer, does Tor have the ability to block that stuff? Obviously searching google for that answer will likely get me added to the list I’m trying to avoid being added to. I just don’t like uncle sam spying on law abiding citizens. But who knows, perhaps all of us on full30 are already on a list. :crazy_face:

I’ve used Opera since before the history on their history page

and was happiest with 12, if you’ve ever tried and had slow issues I couldn’t explain

I still love it even though I resent the constant changes/updates/new features I don’t want

as to TOR, dunno, no plans to run it, and its likely not “a list” but rather “the list” :thinking:

I used Opera from the very first public release version–and that was so long ago I cannot even remember the date. It was slow by comparison to google chrome. Its interface is also a bit clunky by comparison but that like I said was personal preference.

I suppose I will just keep using Comodo Dragon then and start using their VPN.

Chrome copied Opera, Opera was at least a decade before Chrome

Copied yes, but I still maintain chrome did it better for me personally. Doesn’t mean Opera is crap, because it isn’t (firefox is though, hate it). I’m not trying to turn this in to some this versus that debate but more of an exploratory discussion about more secure alternatives. :wink:

1 Like

We are all probably being watched in that the government is capturing everything it can and indexing it so it can be searched (if needed). If you do use Tor, all they’ll have is that you downloaded it. Beyond that they’ve got nothing like they ALREADY do with conventional browsers. If you ever get their attention, they can search the past browsing for additional evidence. The trick is to not ever get their attention.

Having the information they have and actually applying it to a particular person are two different things.

4 Likes