Intro from Thailand

While I am currently in Thailand, I am from San Antonio, Texas (and I am looking forward to returning home in a few weeks). I’ve been watching videos on Full30 for a long time, but I haven’t ventured into the forums until today. I’m hoping to find information about completing 80% lowers/1911 frames and builds.

I am very grateful Full30 exists to preserve all the amazing build videos.

In terms of shooting, my main interest is in long range shooting.

19 Likes

Welcome to the Full30 forums.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @TXGRunner

11 Likes

Welcome to Full30 forum @TXGRunner Good to have you here.

Check us out at USgunBlog.com

If you’re a content creator on Full30, join
If you’re a podcast or wish to have a podcast, please contact me about linking up

Be sure to check out the list of content creators and give them a subscribe.

9 Likes

@TXGRunner welcome from your home state. I would stay where you are for a while longer. It’s still hot here.

11 Likes

Welcome aboard fng
There are some very knowledgeable builders here

10 Likes

Welcome

9 Likes

Welcome @TXGRunner
Great to have you here us at Full 30!!

9 Likes

Welcome to the forums and safe travels back home !!

9 Likes

Welcome from Florida!

9 Likes

Welcome!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum!!! We have a few 1911 builders here that can help!

9 Likes

Welcome to full30.

9 Likes

Welcome from Ky

9 Likes

Welcome from Missouri. I’ve heard that firearms are pretty common in Thailand, is that true?

9 Likes

For those who can afford it, shooting is popular here. Most tourist areas have gun ranges geared towards tourists.

Shopping areas in many Asian countries (Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.) are divided into districts dedicated to specific wares. So, you find most camera stores within a few blocks of each other, most independent jewelry stores very close, etc., and gun stores are no different. Almost all of the firearms dealers in Bangkok are along two blocks of a single road. In a way, it’s kind of cool to be walking down a street passing 15 small shops in a row, all gun stores.

I was very impressed by the selection and how new everything was – Glocks, Kimbers, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, and similarly broad selections for rifles and shotguns.

However, getting a license in Thailand is not easy, and impossible for foreigners. Citizens have to apply through the local government listing the purpose (generally ‘sporting’), where the firearm will be stored, and, in general, only owners of property will be approved. This is a license to buy/own, not to carry. As far as I know, there are no carry permits in Thailand, but maybe there is a different section of the law or special allowances for former LE and military.

Collectors are the ones really screwed under the current law. A “collector” firearm has to be made inoperable (thereby destroying collector value) and the owner is prohibited from owning any ammunition for the inoperable firearms (absurd). The firearm then has to be permanently marked/etched as a collector firearm (further destroying the value). Most collectors just keep their firearms as ‘sporting.’ Again, I am sure there are ways to legally side-step much of this, but that is the written law.

Firearms are also considered a luxury, so there is a 200% tariff on all guns. Reloading is not done. As far as I have found out so far, it isn’t strictly prohibited, but I think they categorize it as manufacture and you need special permission. Regardless, I didn’t see any reloading supplies or information.

I love Thailand, but I can’t wait to get back to Texas.

14 Likes

Welcome! Glad you joined us here. There are plenty of 80%ers here on the forum as well as content creators. Look forward to your posts.

9 Likes

Welcome @TXGRunner

9 Likes

Welcome, this is a fairly diverse shooting disciplined group… I don’t think many here are long range shooters, could be wrong but I don’t see much talk about true long range work…
I’ve done a fair bit and certainly build rifles for that purpose so maybe I can help in any way I can, maybe you can teach as well?

9 Likes

I think Lonewolf is into longrange hunting. Then there were a few guys into Hi power type shooting but I cant remember who.

8 Likes