Is my scope messed up or just me?

So I have this Steiner p4xi 1-4 and have had it for a while now and I don’t think I have astigmatism because I don’t see a starburst like many say.

What I do see is is this blob shape with a bunch of tiny dots in that blob. I use the term blob because it’s not a concentric circle it just looks like a bunch of small dots in a area that could be a blob shape and not a dot.

Noe if I cranked up the brightness it does appear to starburst and I see straight lines where the illumination is supposed to be coming from.

Is this normal or are my eyes completely fucked? Am I stuck never to use illuminated scopes forever?

7 Likes

Ask someone else to view through it, or ask to check out someone else’s

5 Likes

I have asked some to look and they had a repulsive response to seeing a huge starburst.

Could have done without the last line

4 Likes

Do you have other scopes to look through? if so and you don’t see the blob i’d say it’s the scope. also if it was your eyes I would think you’d see the blob all the time. The big thing is look through another scope. that will tell you if it’s your eyes or the scope. But no it’s not normal to see blobs and starburst through a scope, especially an expensive Steiner.

6 Likes

If others are seeing it, then it’s the scope.

6 Likes
6 Likes

As @Belt-Fed said, if you only see it in that scope and others see it as well in the scope, then it is the scope. If you see it all the time regardless of what you are looking at, you should have your eyes checked soon.

This is not to be construed as a medical diagnosis on my part. You should have your eyes checked on an annual basis anyway and sooner if you notice a sudden change.

8 Likes

What you :eye: Dr’s can determine about health not related but yet through the eyes is astonishing to me

6 Likes

And this guy knows what he’s talkin about. Take his advice.

8 Likes

I’m pretty certain it isn’t from astigmatism. I have it and it only appears with red dots, scopes are not an issue. I have numerous red dots and illuminated scopes, red dots are blurry, starbursts, or a comma shape while my illuminated scopes, even a 1x prism scope, all appear crisp. Better contact Steiner AND get that yearly check up for your eyes.

6 Likes

I’ve been to the eye doc a couple years ago for new glasses. I don’t have the means right now to do another visit.

People who have been told they have astigmatism who looked at my scope saw a burst instead of a dot.

I don’t see just one dot, I see like 10 smaller dots in a non uniform fashion of I look at the dot into darkness.

If I look at it in artificial light I see a non uniform outline with a bunch of small dots in it.

Only time I see what can be called starburst is when driving with light streaks going every which way.

No other scope is available

6 Likes

Really sounds like you could use a eye docs visit, but if no funds I understand. least go to gun store or anyplace that sells scopes and ask to look through one. you may have to act interested in it. If’n you was by me i’d let ya look through a few. course I have no guns so there just in a drawer. I was told I have astigmatism in my left eye, I see none of what you’re talkin about through any scope. I wear glasses too. but you may be the only guy I know of that only owns one scope.lol

7 Likes

Try to photograph through the scope that we may be able to see

6 Likes

One of my best investments for my health and my hobby of shooting was the glasses I wear when I shoot, They are shrapnel resistant, eliminate glare, fog resistant, ect…
It is an pretty penny every couple of years but, having them has raised my confidence as a shooter.
I shoot competitively some, run tactical courses, train others to shoot.
My eye doctor recommended that I make this investment consistently and initially I was a little skeptical. He was right.

7 Likes

Op is this a scope w/cross hairs or does it have a red dot?

4 Likes

Tried before making this post and all I can get is a red circle that looks like a bad nasa photo of the sun.

5 Likes

Its a scope with a red dot illumination, steiner p4xi 1-4 power

5 Likes

@AliasSLH
Do you see the same thing when you look through the scope with your other eye?

Do you see this other than in this scope? Such as if you look at a red light on an electronic device, do you notice a similar phenomenon?

I am still trying to figure out whether it is your eye or the scope. If it is your scope, then you can deal with a warranty and get it repaired or replaced.
If it is your eye, then it can be a serious, sight-threatening issue. There is no warranty for repair or replacement for your eyes. Let’s get that cleared up first.

Again, I am not making a diagnosis over the internet. I am just trying to help you answer your question.

5 Likes

If you stop for a coffee every morning or if you have money for ammo, you have money for a visit to the eye doctor. You do not have to buy new glasses just because you go see the doctor.
Sight is precious. I tell people that there artificial body parts for much of the body. You can eat with false teeth. You can walk on artificial legs. You can even live with an artificial heart. But you cannot see with an artificial eye.

6 Likes

Ive been unemployed for 7 months now and what money I get goes to bills, I have no extra really to spend.

4 Likes