Is the AK "outdated"?

Neat interview that a member of Kalashnikov media did with Larry Vickers.

If you don’t know who Larry Vickers is heres his bio

6 Likes

Boy you just love to start shit to see who you can rile up? :cowboy_hat_face: :+1:

7 Likes

Hey, I just like starting debatable topics. I consider myself a free speech extremist.

I thought the video was good though.

6 Likes

Just razzing you. :+1:

3 Likes

While some folks considers Lv in the know in this subject
His knowledge is based on a opinion and his synopsis is correct in a lot of ways and wrong in several imo

With almost every shooter now a days feeling the need to modernize and accessorize a weapon the true purpose and functionality seems lost too me
The ak pattern rifle was designed and built to be robust
And simple to use and to stand the test of time witch it has so far imo
We are speaking about the most fielded rifle in the entire world
At its core and for what it does and was designed for it has no equal
And will be in use long long after we are gone

3 Likes

He is also mostly speaking from a military/combat perspective as in what is optimal for the battlefield or serious use situation. I mean he has used the AK in combat as a member of one of the most elite military forces on the planet. Some of the stuff like adjustable stocks and rubber grips might be more of a preference but other things like optics and weaponlights are proven force multipliers, thats not even really up for debate.

I mean most of his experience is in killing people though not building guns or collecting them, although he did dabble in building for a bit and is supposedly an avid collector.

The way he accessorizes his AKs is very similar to how Spetznaz and them are doing it now according to everything I’ve read. He goes over the similarities and concepts in alot of his clone videos too.

I dont buy into alot of his salesman stuff but on gunfighting he is an SME (Subject matter Expert). Only gunsmithing ive heard of related to him were way overpriced 1911s and for gun designing I think he used to work with HK and even helped as an advisor with the HK45 and HK416.

3 Likes

The 7.62x39 IS an obsolete round, just like the 30-06.
All this ammo is imported and the libtards have banned importation.

2 Likes

30-06 is imported? I didnt know that. Then again I dont know much about 30-06 in general.

1 Like

The U.S. surplus stuff dried up a long time ago. every now and then i see it. But it’s not banned.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06-ammo/350-round-can-surplus-30-06-ball-ammo-linked-1919-machine-gun-made-men-germany-19

2 Likes

Ever heard of Greek 30-06, the last of the match grade milsurp odd six stuff.

The post was to say the 30-06 and 7.62x39 are both obsolete, and the AK ammo is imported.

We make all our M1 ammo from pulled military projectiles, 69 & 72 virgin brass, and new 4895 and CCI 34s.

2 Likes

so are any of the Rimmed Rifle Rounds (.303, 7,62r and 7.92 (maybe not so much)) - but they are still being made and quite effective on the two way range.

1 Like

7.62x39 is mainly imported due to price, IF the government banned all importation tomorrow several ammo makers would be tooling up and start pumping it out in short order…no use for them to make a lot of it at this point.

3 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Ballisticly the 300 blackout is pretty close to the 7.62x39.

2 Likes

& a heck of a lot cheaper!

1 Like

and the 300HAMR beats them both hands down. Might even be SAMMI spec someday.

How long do you think they will be importing ammo? Copper wash, the cheapest of the cheap gone because the ATF lied and said it was AP.

2 Likes

The answer to this thread is “No” , How can a trash can be outdated?!

3 Likes

No not at all. It’s just the application on how you use it. If you are not familiar of the function of a gun and how to sight it in then it is useless to you but if you are able to sight it in and know its limitations in effects on target it is effective as having a mosin Nagant shooting something within 200m. Just because something is old doesn’t mean it can’t hurt or kill you

2 Likes

The most fielded battle rifle in the history of firearms

1 Like