Issues With The 2nd Walther PPQ 22LR

Well, I thought this was going to be a good battle, turns out the 2nd Walther PPQ started doing the exact same thing as the 1st one did. So, gonna have to spend some T&E time with this one, burn some ammo and figure it out. Walther said they could not find an issue with the 1st one but obviously something is going on.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about PPQ-v2. Keep us posted.

7 Likes

yep, that is two in a row now… this one did do a little better, it took longer to present, so GOTTA be an ammo that is causing it, just a matter of narrowing down what type, brand, etc. it will SUCK if it ends up being all lead nose because that is most 22lr

7 Likes

since they are both walthers, I would start with taking the muzzle protector off the ppq.
If there is a slight “bore” obstruction, it could explain both the leading and key holing. I almost thinking there is a eccentric cut on the muzzle, looking for painting or scuffing on the thread protector, or with it on and tight it compresses the muzzle enough to act like a external choke.

6 Likes

yeah, that was my first thought too but does it regardless of that device being installed. the 1st one that that as well, aftermarket and it did it with or without it, this one is the tac version can came with one, so doing it with, without and regardless of what brand or shape adapter.

6 Likes

if these were your gun I would suggest taking it to a machine shop and truing the crown with a slight counter bore.
only other option would be the bore and rifling is tighter on the muzzle than the chamber

6 Likes

Just a guess but maybe they are squeezing the bore when they thread the muzzle.

6 Likes

i am finding my cp33 likes copper plated better. the plain lead builds up on the feed ramps of the mag., i cant think of any subsonic copper plated. must be some out there. unobtainium.

6 Likes

gonna tag @srdiver too here. IF this were a machining or Walther issue… there SHOULD be way more hoopla and complaining going on than what i have been able to find anywhere online really. remember too that this is the 2nd once Walther has sent me, same issues. Walther also makes the P22 and Colt 1911, neither of which do this… weird. They praise the PPQ-22 and when it is clean, shooting plated stuff it is dead on accurate with little to no issues. so then i find it very hard to believe that they would build a 22 with inherent leading issues (and again, not get WAY more backlash than what i am finding). so it is ENTIRELY possible we are dealing with a certain ammo just leading up quick, in this last case within 30 rounds, to the point of keyholing. i am on task and trying to work through some processes to figure it out so i can get a video up, with some detail and hopefully explanation of what i find. whatever this issue is, for a new firearm owner could be VERY dangerous.

7 Likes

Love my p22. It just plain works. You might try sluging the barrel at both ends and see if the muzzle is a tad tighter than the chamber end. Winchester had the poly coated 22’s for semi auto guns you might see how those do.

7 Likes

yeah, might end up doing that BUT, unless we are talking some kind of manufacturing screw up… twice, no way this is normal on all of the PPQs. i have heard feedback at this point from dozens that do not have this issue and one would think Walther would have caught that on the first one that i sent back, right? LOL

5 Likes