It begins with one

The lowly little bullet, the only one I’ve done so far

I’ve picked up powder and primers but this is as far as I’ve got

7 Likes

Good start!

Hopefully you didn’t start off with a progressive press. :wink:

Hint - do the operations with 20 or 50 at a time. Not one all the way through & then the next cartridge. but then you probably knew that.

2 Likes

Don’t yet own a press, likely plan to get a Hornady progressive though, have 10k large pistol primers so it will be 10mm or 45acp or both, and have 8#s of TITEGROUP which I read is not primo for 10mm but doable, however rated well for 45acp

You do a lot of reloading?

3 Likes

I used to do a lot more. When I shot PPC I would reload 300/week.

Now it’s mostly hunting or practice, so I’m way down. But WAY more meticulous.

Currently I am tweaking a .260 Rem and playing with such things as run-out, resized shoulder length and seating depth off the lands.

3 Likes

This comment makes me a bit nervous as I’m just about to start reloading. My bride bought me a Dillion 550c about a year ago and have yet to get started.
I’ve got and studied several manuals and now have all I think I need. Just gotta set up and get going. I plan to be ultra careful and slow. I’m sure I’ll be in the reloading catagory a lot in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Which comment? I was only poking fun about the “one round so far” if he had a progressive press. NOTHING at all wrong with them, but a second lever throw would have produced a second round.

https://www.usreloadingsupply.com/productreviews/568

my reason for only one round

Oh. I thought that was a warning about a newbie with a progressive. I was told when first looking into reloading to go with a single stage. But slow and not sexy. From what I’ve seen I’ll be ok and on the lookout for over loads and primer seating. Got a lot of questions to get to over time. I’ve got one now actually but I’ll start a new thread.

1 Like

Thank you Coke for a great idea!

2 Likes
  • I am in no way telling anyone to do this when reloading.

@Stumpkiller brings up an interesting point with playing with “ bullet jump” when wanting to measure how far to seat a rifle cartridge I have found that this is a quick and easy way to get your answer.

1. Grab a piece of fired brass and just cut the neck length wise “ a dremel will work”
  2. Now gently set a bullet “the same type and weight you intended on using” in the cut brass just a little bit.

3. Now insert the spent cut brass with the bullet into your chamber slowly, and close the bolt fully.
    4. Now for the tricky part. Your extractor spring in your bolt assembly will be trying to force the cartridge towards the ejection port. “ this will cause the bullet to drag against the chamber wall and could give you a false reading” Use the eraser end of a pencil to put a little pressure on the base of the Cartridge as you slowly extract it.
  3. Now measure your overall length! (I recommend subtracting .005” off the number.) Do this 5-6 times to find your average.
    Some projectiles like a little jump, like Serra match Kings like a space jump before meeting the rifling, And others want to be against the rifling.
    Now this can be dangerous if done wrong it can cause over pressure issues if you don’t know what your doing.

So here is another tool for your tool box! Have fun and be safe!

• I am in no way telling anyone to do this when reloading.
3 Likes

Good call on the dykem. I have that sitting on the lathe right now, but soot from a lighter! Now that’s cheap and easy! Good call Brother.

1 Like

A candle soot.

1 Like

You will enjoy reloading. Most shooters that I know (including myself) enjoy reloading as much as target shooting.

I own both progressive and single stage presses. Progressives are much faster and reduce the potential for human error, since the machine does most of the work. I’ve loaded over 20,000 rounds on the progressive with no major malfunctions (i.e. overcharges or squib loads). However, I experienced my one and only squib load on the single stage after loading less than 5,000 rounds. In my opinion, single stage reloading requires more steps and human handling, thus more chances for human error. Luckily, I recognized the squib load immediately upon firing, so I was able to stop and safely clear the weapon. I still use my single stage and I’m not discouraging you from buying one. Just be aware that single stage reloading requires a little more attention to detail.

1 Like

uh-oh, I plan to purchase a single stage soon for the normal rea$on$

I’ll take note of this, happy you didn’t make a squib a bigger issue than it already is, getting it out i’m sure wasn’t fun :tired_face:

Single stage presses are perfectly safe. Just focus on one task at a time, then check and double check everything. Also avoid any distractions while reloading (television, music, screaming kids, etc). My reloading bench is located in my isolated basement workshop, which allows for complete focus. I become one with the equipment. It’s very zen…like yoga. LOL

1 Like

Reloading is similar to shooting.
The choice of equipment is the least of it.
Success is mostly dependent on the guy pulling the handle.
If he’s all thumbs, maybe buying factory ammo is preferable.
If he’s diligent, handy with tools and such, go for it.
What’s the worse that can happen?
Oh yes, KABOOM.
Always a possibility, so take care.
Now don’t you feel much better since we’ve had this little talk?

3 Likes

Ya, what’s the worst that can happen.

5 Likes

…or this.

3 Likes

Hey Hey Hey, put that thing away!

5 Likes

Not sure, that happened at a match, cracked the frame and destroyed the trigger. He got lucky that he only burned his finger a bit.

4 Likes