Its not me after all, it shoots low left

Kyle Lamb - Singlular, Larry Vickers - Singular are not the majority
I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes too, I did a exchange tour with both the USMC force marine recon and British Paras, deployed with and cross qualified for both. In first four years of my military career I spent it outside of Canada after my TQs so yes I can claim what I claim,

3 Likes

All I said was that is a bold claim, no disrespect intended. The classes I named off that you said you couldnt learn much from all have similar backgrounds to Kyle Lamb or Larry Vickers, theres probably dozens of instructors with similar backgrounds. It is what it is, again no disrespect intended to you or your service to your country.

1 Like

8 Likes

On the low left issue, or the sight picture?

On the low left issue, I guess so, I’ve got a few more things to try at least.

On the sight picture…I’ll try it out.

Training is good. I always learn something. When I stop learning, maybe I’ll change my mind. I am not military or law enforcement, so for me, I welcome it.

3 Likes

Lol cool meme. If that was aimed at me then I just want to point out that I dont play army but I do train with my firearms and take my training serious. I also look into my instructors credentials a bit before paying them $500+ for a class. As an American I take being responsible for mine and my families saftey serious. I dont pretend to be anything im not. That being said, I will stand down here. You have alot more knowledge than myself on this subject and I AM NOT trying to challenge you on anything here.

2 Likes

As Paul Harrel says “it’s just my opinion, you be the judge”
@EQuinn tell that cheap husband of yours to go buy a cheap insert bore sight and actually see if the sights are off.
Because the majority of my early shooting was done with crappy army sights that really had no adjustment once I learned how my pistol shot I would just simply adjust my point of aim to bring my rounds to center of visible mass (at this case aim for right shoulder/)

4 Likes

Slowdown there cowboy… I’m the cheap hubby. And we each spend our own bread. That way no one can get pissed at what the other buys. Happy wife / happy life. Happy couple / happy doubled.

8 Likes

EQuinn, a quick search of the internet gun forums revealed that it’s a common problem with the M&P Shield 9mm, try some good old-fashioned Kentucky windage and elevation that should get you on target.

4 Likes

Damn right! Except they’ll be throwing me on the dirt.

2 Likes

Sorry late to the party. I clicked reply before loading the rest of the comments. Whoops!

#2 is for basic military sights like what you see on say an wartime 1911 (example below) or most wheelguns but definitely like the others have said #3 is the winner for that M&P and or any three dot sight.

5 Likes

In my NRA training (many years ago), teaching us new shooters how to aim, shoot, and about gun safety, they taught us to have all three dots level and put the spot we are aiming at (bullseye for training), immediately above the front sight. They called it the “bird sitting on the fence post” approach.

Although generally I have to put the front sight slightly above the rear sights to get a well placed shot, depending on the gun and the ammo being used, sometimes I put both the front and rear sights level. However, I never put the sights’ dots right on the target. I had never even heard of that approach till reading it here.

Learn something everyday! Thanks for that insight.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will work for me (at all), as I am already putting the “bird” up on an elevated “fencepost” and that is working for me.

FYI - I also don’t extend my arms fully when shooting a handgun. I hold the gun about halfway out and do a serious push/pull with my hands and arms. When I am most focused and not too tired, this works extremely well for me. (Noting that my trigger hand is resting above the locked and bent elbow.)

2 Likes

Robert:

No flipping. Just using the terminology I learned from the NRA instructor. By the way, his son was a “distinguished expert” shot (and same age as me).

If I was to try #3, I would not be able to see what I was shooting at and certainly could not focus on the spot I was trying to hit. I am amazed anyone can make that work, but everyone is different. Good luck to anyone trying it.

2 Likes

Now, off to the range to see how I shoot my Shield.

Later……….

Back from the range: Yes, I shot all shots to the left side of the target, and 13 out of 20 (total) shots below the middle (line) of the target. So, left - definitely, low - somewhat.

This was with Winchester white box 115 grain FMJ. So, the “low” portion could be slightly accounted for by the low grain weight (I did not accommodate for the lighter load).

6 Likes

Practice looking through the sites at the target and not so much at the sights. I believe you should focus on the target more than the sights. I hope that makes sense.

Mister_Torgue:

Makes sense (somewhat), just foreign to me and what training I have had.

Besides, I get the best site picture possible the way I aim.

Granted, I am not even the best shot amongst my friends, much less among you all. But, I will experiment next time I go to the range and will let you know.

That’s the fun part. You gotta find what works for you and if you have to send a ton of rounds down range so be it!!

Mister_Torgue:

Yeah, going to the range and practicing - oh what a chore! (LOL)

FYI: One of the best shots I know of is Hickok45. He said in (at least one of) his videos that he never changes how he aims (I believe that is the word he chose). Instead, he adjusts the point of aim (not how he aims).

Food for thought.

Robert:

RE: “If I read this right, you are compensating for hitting low”

Actually, it is my attempt to get the front sight up to the point of aim. When I test aim a gun next to a mirror in my home, I notice the muzzle of the gun is pointing down. Seems like it should be pointing straight out, or maybe just slightly down, but not as much as I naturally point it.

Also, sometimes I don’t actually bring the gun up to eye level and am trying to bring my eyes down to the gun. Not a good way to do things. Something I have to correct!

Hello,
I’ve read several of the responses and after looking at your photos I believe your grip with the left hand is part of the problem. slide the left hand so the thumb is in front of the slide release but still below the slide. Next, don’t put your right index so deep into the trigger. The trigger should be in the middle of your pad, between the joint and tip, perfectly half way. Grip the gun firmly and press the trigger very slowly, pretend you are doing it in slow motion. These tips should help to correct most of the low-left problem. Being cross-dominant with your eyes is another issue, however easily correctable. Be sure to close your left eye. A piece of tape on your lens will help. I believe this will correct your “low left” shooting. Let me know how it works out for you.

4 Likes