Jeweling Jig

I am trying to find schematics or plans to be able to make a jeweling jig. I at least cannot find one to purchase so if there is a commercial one available I would be able to that. I know B-Square made one at one point but it seems to be discontinued at this point. I believe there was another company that made a commercial one as well (I apologize the name doesn’t come to mind) but it also has been discontinued. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

You may be thinking of Wheeler, they no longer make them either. You may have to make one.

2 Likes

I think your right about Wheeler. I honestly think I will have to make one but I haven’t really been able to find any good videos or a walk through or maybe schematics that I can follow. Hoping maybe someone here might be able to help me out with that. I really want to try and do jeweling I love the look.

2 Likes

Why does no one make them anymore?

2 Likes

Honestly no idea why or even how long it has been this way.

2 Likes

It is a fairly simple jig. A search revealed a couple of videos

Here is a write up from another source

https://www.cratex.com/jeweling-metal

2 Likes

The little I looked around, it didn’t look very hard. From simple wood, to welded up angle iron, to more fancy ones.

1 Like

Thank you very much that first video at least gives me a good starting point I think of maybe being able to piece something together. Any ideas on maybe wear I good get a gear like that? He mentioned he made his. At least at this time that isn’t something I have the compability to do that.

2 Likes

I bet a cam chain gear would work. Go to a local auto salvage yard.

1 Like

Cool, is there anything specific I need to know or look for. I don’t know much about cars.

2 Likes

From the looks of the one the guy made in the video, that’s a pair of old connecting rods, a base plate to bolt it too. Bronze center rod on each side, and the gear. The gear looks to be about the same size as the gear on a cam shaft. That gear also has a hole in it for the cam shaft sensor magnet, so another bonus.
MEL3-506S

1 Like

I might try to use a 5c collet spin index mounted to your drill press.

https://www.amazon.com/Indexing-Drilling-Grinding-Collet-Fixture/dp/B00KDQY5XE/ref=asc_df_B00KDQY5XE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309763890402&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1516314467097916320&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019639&hvtargid=pla-569147396390&psc=1

Set of cheap 5c collets

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Collet-Hardened-T-I-R-0-0005/dp/B01AWWKVZY/ref=pd_aw_lpo_469_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EGD0A2W054YVW63BKE98

You could always use an index head, but I’m thinking of budget friendly options.

2 Likes

@switchpod Thanks alot for these links I will defintaly look into this. With all the help I have gotten on here I really think I am getting a solid plan for putting together a jig and get this going. I am pretty excited about it as well. Thank you to all that have given me feedback

3 Likes

No problem Brother! There’s always more than one way to skin a cat!

303 stainless, pencil eraser, 400 grit.

3 Likes

wow

3 Likes

I was so happy with my spin index until I read the section of the manual on using the offset holes…and then my brain hurt for a week or so.

3 Likes

Yeah! Lots of math!

2 Likes