Just how deadly is an AR-15 round?

I prefer SAO which largely includes 1911’s

3 Likes

The official handgun of God! ( it’s true, I saw it in the Bible, in the red words!) I believe it was created on the 8th day…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Then the Lord givith Lonewolf the blessed 1911, Angels across the Heavens sound their horns. “Taketh thy son, let no evil tempt thee with black poison fruit from Satan 's tree of plastic”

4 Likes

Don’t stand too close to me, I may get smacked with lightning…

5 Likes

The ARs here are for the woman folk, and none are in 5.56.

After a career in the Army I saw 22 and 30 cal holes. On the average you can not take out a 200 pound anything with one shot from a 5.56, unless you head shot. We did it several times vs body shots.

Here in washingrad you cant even shoot a 90 pound deer with 5.56. Ive been hunting deer here since the 60s and not one ever got back up and ran away from an odd six round.

If I ever have to shoot people again it will be with a 30-06 driven. I have no time to mess around.

7 Likes

A garand seems like a good choice, they proved their worth in the last World War.

5 Likes

There are some advantages to a 20 round mag of .308Win, though.

3 Likes

How about 6.5 Grendel? That’s what my AR is chambered in.

1 Like

I love my M1 Garand! Would like to add another one to the collection. I don’t reload, though, so .223 ammo costs, being much cheaper than .30-06 Garand-specific ammo, means I can save more when target shooting my AR, which I also built for much cheaper than my Garand “Special” from the CMP.

5 Likes

Speaking of Garand ammo, if I had to buy off the shelf for a Garand, what ammo is best?

3 Likes

.308 has the advantage for ammo availability and selection. It also dosnt kick as hard especially with adjustable gas blocks on the ARs.

5 Likes

I hear you have to be careful or you will fu** up your rifle. This is worth startig a thread on or bumping an old one on the subject for both your saftey and your sanity , imo. Lol

5 Likes

Ok, I saw @Comanchero45 suggests this in another thread

and @ArmedEyeDoc gave this link
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-06?ikw=garand

6 Likes

What are you wanting to do plink, target shoot, hunt, etc? I dont feel comfortable recommending anything for a Garand but ammo selection is generally a matter of what youre trying to do. The one size fits all general use stuff usually is not the best option it will just suffice.

5 Likes

Ok, gonna start a new thread

4 Likes

From a 24 inch barrel:

123 grain - 2,650 ft/sec - 1.917 ft-lb of kinetic energy

Looks like it’s roughly halfway between 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO.

7 Likes

I’ve read some commercial 150 gr .30-06 is safe to shoot out of Garands. Garandgear.com tested various types of ammo and their effects on gas cylinder pressure and total impulse:

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Check out both the pressure charts and the total impulse gauges for each of the ammo tested to get an idea. Mind you, those were the pressures he measured from those particular lots on that particular day. I’m sure different lot numbers manufactured on different dates may have some variations.

To be safe, I installed one of garandgear’s ported plugs, but even with that I’ll still only shoot no more than 150 gr ammo. I also order in bulk whatever Garand-specific ammo I might find on sale, usually PRVI Partizan or Sellier & Bellot brand. I may replace the plug later with one of those adjustable Schuster valves and play with it to see how it does with Remington Core Lokts since that ammo seems to be more readily available on the shelves. Too bad the cheap M2 ball is all sold out.

And to get back on topic, my 1:7 twist chrome-lined Stag 14.5” barrel shoots best with Hornady Match 73 gr ELD .223 ammo.

6 Likes

Ive taken Elk with .308 it would probably be more than enough for humans and it generally has a flatter trajectory and its lighter recoiling meaning faster follow up shots. Its apples to oranges really. If you just wanted power .300 win mag is a beast of a round and pretty common. It beats both the 30-06 and .308 pretty easily and its way flatter trajectory. I wouldnt want to shoot one rapidly though.

3 Likes

Very cool round

4 Likes