Just how deadly is an AR-15 round?

I have killed several Deer with 5.56 55 FMJ ( Mini-14/AR15 ) and they did pretty extensive damage, the Deer did not know if it was 5.56 or 300 Magnum. The bullets blew up like HP’s, I have yet to see a 5.56 FMJ that did not blow up on animals. I shot one Coyote in the chest as he faced me and the bullet did not even come out…I never cut it open to see what happened, but it was obvious it expanded a bunch with no exit and the coyote never left his tracks. It may not be the best round, but it will kill whatever needs killing…

6 Likes

22 mag has the same result

5 Likes

So many anti-gunners believe that .223/5.56 is too powerful for hunting because it blows any animal into tiny little bits. LOL. My aunt is one of them. I attempted to explain the characteristics of the “intermediate” cartridge, but she still didn’t get it. Deer in the headlights so to speak. :man_facepalming:

8 Likes

I had a liberal try to convince me 5.56 should be banned and if people wanted AR style rifles it should be a less lethal hunting rounds such as .308…I tried explaining the issues with that belief and she just got irritated… i wonder if this is a common belief among the dildo-brains?

8 Likes

Try coming at them from a point of emotion… Logic does not work in conversations with them. Appeal to their emotions. Tell them stores of the 15 year old who didn’t have to die horribly because of his dad’s Ar15. You will never win in an argument with an idiot they have more practice than you. Make it a conversation based on emotion and they will listen more frequently.

7 Likes

Whats funny is a bunch of the hunters up here dont believe people should be able to own ARs or even semi auto fireams, its not just liberals. Its why I dont buy into the whole thing about the number of hunters out numbering the government if confiscation went down. From what ive seen alot(but not all) of hunters are sportsman not really gun guys.

7 Likes

I agree…some but not all. I have personally heard the sportsmen say, “They will never come after my bolt-action deer rifle or my Remington 870 bird gun.” I believe the sportsmen will quickly change when they do come after their bolt action “sniper” rifle and their “rapid fire” pump-action shotgun. Ammo restrictions and taxes will also get their attention. However, it will be too late to fight when it finally happens.

9 Likes

Feinstein has been introducing bills to “reinstate” the Assault Weapons Ban, since 2004. The bills have varied a bit, over the years, but some of them have stated that pump shotguns with pistol grips and capable of using removable magazines would be banned.

Doesn’t seem like that would apply to a Remington 870, until you read the full bill and start connecting the dots. In the “defintiions” section near the end of the bill (where most people won’t see it, after losing interest halfway through the document), a removable magazine is defined to include magazines, clips, and speed loaders. Since there are 12 gauge speed loaders available for competitions, and the ban applies to those “capable of using” them, then the bill applies to just about every12 gauge pump shotgun on the market.

The definitions also include a new definition of pistol grip that applies to pretty much every stock on a standard shotgun, so that part is also covered.

They are already going after pump shotguns, but people mostly haven’t noticed, because they haven’t been paying attention.

7 Likes

Did the ATF not recently classify the AA-12 as illegal. People who don’t think the Mossberg 500’s and Ithica pump among others will be next have their eyes deliberately closed and will soon feel the wrath of the DSA/dnc.

7 Likes

I have a hanging gong that is about 6” x 20” hung in the woods. Shrugs off .22lr pistol and muzzleloader balls. One day I backed off 100 yards and shot it with a .223 REM with a 55 gr target bullet (Sierra #1400). I was surprised it penetrated the 5/16” thick steel u channel just as nice as could be. There are two bolted back-to-back with a 1/4” air gap and it just dimpled the back one.

But, I still consider a .22 anything too small for deer. Sure, it will do it. I like more margin.

6 Likes