Just Right Carbines & USPSA

Wasn’t sure where else to drop this and the gun will be used (mostly) for USPSA competitions.

Has anyone on the board had experience with Just Right Carbines? Their reviews on YT are pretty good. They had some glitches about 8-10 years ago but most of those bugs seem to be ironed out. Their Takedown model is a little different looking but still kind of cool in that “tactical” sort of way.

Wife is getting a nice check next month once the sale finalizes on her mother’s house in Virginia. (FINALLY!) She told me I could start looking for a reasonably priced setup for PCC and this fits the bill. I priced it out online with the full backpack kit that it uses for a case, 4 of the KCI Glock compatible 33 round mags and a Crimson Trace Rail Master green laser. Before tax and shipping it would be $980 and some change. Not too bad to get started in PCC Division.

Would really appreciate any opinions on the JRC carbines if anyone has shot one. If you’ve used one in actual competition, I’d like to hear about that as well.

8 Likes

I have shot 3 different JRC’s over the last 3 years. They ran ok. Rethink the mags. Glock mags need the metal liner. When you drop those plastic ones in competition they get messed up.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip on the mags. I was kinda on the fence about them because they are WAY cheaper than the actual Glock mags. I might get a couple of these for now and a couple real Glock mags to split the difference. (Unless you have other alternatives in mind.)

So what are your pros and cons regarding the JRC carbines overall? Would they be decent for USPSA competitions?

7 Likes

Botach and palmetto have the mags for $35 each. Most places look to be $40.

8 Likes

They would be okay. About like any other AR-15 pcc. I would also look at Palmetto State Armory and their 9mm AR’s. I have a PSA 9mm pistol that runs great. It uses endomag inserts in P mags. Regular AR-15 lower.

7 Likes

I can give a second + on the PSA AR-9’s. I have a 16" EPT moA M-lock 9mm carbine and it shoots great. I have over a 1000 rounds through it and have only had maybe 2 FTL because of the plastic mags. But in 1000 rnds that ain’t too shabby. Plus it takes Glock mags so I can carry one type of mag and one type of ammo and be good to 100 yds. IF I need more than that there is the SKS and the .300 WBY MAG. And if I need more than that, I should have stayed home.

8 Likes

Well, on that note, I’m now eyeballing the PSA Gen4 16" 9mm M-Lok Classic Rifle

Good looking PCC with great reviews. Falls within the budget I was looking at and I can get the gun with all the accessories directly from Palmetto State.

8 Likes

Like I said no problems with mine and it has over 1000 rnds through it. 16" MOE EPT M-Lock. Like that it uses Glock mags and same ammo. Some complain about not being able to feed hollow points but I haven’t had any issues.

9 Likes

I’m too cheap to buy hollow points. Especially for competitions. :laughing:

9 Likes

OK. How do you feel about the 16” barrel?

I’m wondering if a 10” wouldn’t be better for competition.

8 Likes

Yup. OTOH, there’s a guy at my synagogue who prefers his PCC for defending the congregation. I told him, you should shoot whatever you shoot best.

8 Likes

Check the rules. Can you shoot a braced pistol or do you have to SBR it?
My PSA 9mm AR pistol has a 4" barrel and handles really well.

7 Likes

No braces. Has to be SBR with an actual stock. That’s one of the few restrictions they have for this division. I think a 4” barrel would defeat the purpose of a PCC though.

7 Likes

For your purpose 4" might be a little short.
I wanted short and compact.
I can still ring steel at 100yds no problem.

7 Likes

Whelp…… After talking with the gentleman who runs our local USPSA club, it looks like 16” will be the winner. While SRBs are legal in USPSA PCC division, anything shorter than 16” requires a permit from the ATF unless you add a shroud to extend the barrel out to 16”. If you get the extortion papers from the ATF to keep the shorter barrel, you have to keep them with you for every match you shoot. (Especially over state lines) I don’t feel like playing stupid legal games with the Alphabet Soup Gang so I will stick to the longer barrel.

8 Likes

Yes - what you shoot best always when SHTF.
I prefer our OG PCC by IMI for the win IMHO
Like stacy abrahms - it eaten everything ever shoved in it. :grinning:

Barrel changes fast as a MG42 too.

8 Likes

Plus the up to a year or more wait for the Feds to do your paperwork.
Most folks keep a photo copy of the tax stamp in the bag they carry the gun in and leave the original in the safe at home.
You also need written permission ahead of time to take class 3 items across state lines.

10 Likes

Yeah, screw all that.
I can buy enough guns to FSU without dancing with the Alphabet Soup Gang.

And I never gave a damn about suppressors so they won’t get that $200 from me either.

7 Likes

So here’s a complete swerve out into left field… Ruger PC-9

Why???
It has a mag adapter for Glock mags.
Really favorable reviews overall.
It’s definitely a budget conscious PCC option.
Simply because I am a HUGE Ruger fan. I’ve never owned a Ruger I didn’t like.
It was actually my first choice when I first started thinking about getting into PCC Division.

Why Not?
It’s heavy. 7 pounds unloaded and stock. 8-9 pounds with a Glock Happy Stick and accessories.
It’s not tacticool. It doesn’t look like an AR or AK. It’s just a regular, old fashioned looking rifle.

TBH, neither of these issues really bother me.

I used to hold a 13 pound Peavey T-40 bass for 3-4 hours a couple times a week for band rehearsals and bar shows. An 8-9 pound PCC for 2 minutes at a time isn’t a problem. Could the extra weight slow me down a bit? Probably but I will still be faster with a long gun and a red dot than with a 1911 and iron sights.

As long as the gun is reliable and accurate, I’ve never been overly concerned with aesthetics. At least it’s not a Hi Point.

RugerMeme

8 Likes

Yep, i don’t ever carry the originals

8 Likes