Just Right Carbines & USPSA

Came across these Glock sticks for $28.99

8 Likes

Nice.

Right now, I’m actually looking at the 17 round mags with the Kriss USA extension kit which bumps them up to 40 rounds. 4 of those would get me through all 4 stages of a match without ever having to reload a mag short of a failure of some sort. You can also use them on 24 round mags for a total of 47 rounds. Not sure if that would be too heavy for the magwell on the rifle though.

6 Likes

Set up one of those and try it first. I have one of those. It works fine in the glock17 and 19. When I put either glock in a command arms micro Roni chassis the extra spring pressure keeps the gun from running reliably. Just a thought.

7 Likes

No worries there. I plan on having everything set up and tested well before my local club’s season starts next year. If the spring pressure is an issue, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to tweak a mag spring. I did own a Hi Point Gen1 Yeet Cannon at one time. :laughing:

7 Likes

:smirk:

7 Likes

Yeah. Not my proudest moment.
But the reactions I got from people almost made it worth it sometimes. :rofl:

7 Likes

A few years ago I shot a 16" barrel in USPSA matches. But the barrel slowed me down and I’m already slow enough due to age. So now I shoot a 7" SBR PCC and would never go back. Yes, it would be and is set up to be my zombie gun. It takes practice to make sure the fingers stay away from the muzzle but dry fire practice is pretty cheap to come by. I also put a hand stop, used in reverse, to index my forefinger on and it also helps to control muzzle flip and recoil. Oh, and I extended the barrel with a comp that goes on the 3 lug adapter to again make sure I keep my fingers. Others have tried the gun at a safe table and most state, “I’d shoot a finger off.”. Again, it takes training. The big plusses for me is ignoring barricades and walls due to having basically no barrel. The other big plus is complete lack of muzzle mass, the SBR maneuvers nicely.

The negatives? Everything that has already been discussed. But I never take it across state lines so that issue never shows itself.

I have a competition buddy, we’re both old farts, he shoots a Ruger PCC and he recently started to have malfunctions so I asked him when was the last time he cleaned it. The answer, “never”. He’d been shooting it for YEARS, since they first came out and I was flabbergasted. I have no idea if he even gives it lube, I didn’t think to ask. Yeah, they work fine even when abused, good PCC from what I’ve seen.

7 Likes

Wow, just wow… :disguised_face:

7 Likes

Yeah. I asked him how many rounds he had put through it and he told me at least 20k but he really didn’t know. Also told me that he doesn’t clean guns, he just drops them off at the gunsmiths for cleaning.

7 Likes

That kinda stuff really irks me. I was taught from an early age how to handle, respect and care for firearms. I try to clean my guns after every trip to the range and at least every other trip. Few guns work as well dirty as they do cleaned and lubed properly.

9 Likes

This image of a samurai cleaning his blade came to mind. I bet they always kept their weapons clean.

8 Likes

They would have to. Blood really isn’t good for metal.

8 Likes

Don’t do competition but really like my Ruger PC. Tacticool is the last thing I’m concerned with. I actually prefer the classic rifle look. That’s why I shoot a Mini 14 instead of an AR. That PC has a LOT of metal in it. Really built strong, hence the weight. I like shooting it. I use the Glock magazines (the only thing I like about Glocks) and have not had any problems at all. I don’t have thousands of rounds thru it, but so far so good. Solid, good shooting carbine.

9 Likes

It’s ordered! :star_struck:

Everything is from GrabAGun

Ruger PC Carbine 9mm 16" Barrel- $549.99
Sig Sauer Romeo-MSR Red Dot- $82.99
Hiperfire Hipercomp Gen 2 Muzzle Recoil Brake 9mm 1/2X28- $65.55
Glock 17/34 OEM 9mm Magazine Orange Follower 33 Rounds (x4)- $140.76
Glock Gen 5 17/34/45 Magazine 9mm 17Rds- $24.39
Sylvan Arms Raptor Universal Pistol Speed Loader- $20.19

Shipping- $41.08
Insurance- $5.99
Tax- $61.87

Grand Total- $992.81

I don’t think I did to badly for a beginner PCC Division setup.
Looking forward to testing everything out!

10 Likes

Nice, pics will be expected.

9 Likes

Well, duh!
Pics or it didn’t happen! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Of course, that’s when they get it all shipped. I’ve gotten 2 emails with parts of the order being shipped. One of the mags and the red dot. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Sounds like Star Link… :wink:

6 Likes

Be sure to let us know how you like it after you’ve had time to get settled in with it.

Try shooting it w/o the brake, then with. See if you notice any difference and find the brake worthy of being on the gun. Leave it off for faster handling unless it pays its way by doing something worthwhile. Or at least that’s what I do. Nothing is on my comp’ gun unless it does something worthwhile.

Mine wears one but it’s a 7" SBR and has some slight gas pressure for it to do something minimal for downforce. But the real reason it’s on there it to extend the barrel slightly so that should I not grab the SBR correctly I don’t shoot a finger off. So I tolerate the extra mass. I might remove it though. In 3, or is it 4 (?), years I have yet to grab it incorrectly, not even a little incorrectly and I’ve never been DQ’ed for so much as waving a finger in front of the muzzle.

I don’t remember if the Ruger has a straight recoil stock or not. But don’t tolerate anything less than a perfect placement of the sight. If you need to raise or lower it do so. My cheek weld is my lower jaw bone 'cause I can no longer skoonch my head down to the stock. I raise the gun, put it in the shoulder pocket and on my jaw, and I’m looking through the sight. But you do what’s right for you. Make the gun work for you and fit you, don’t change you for the gun. Ebay or Amazon is your friend for risers that won’t break the bank. I always have a selection of risers in the parts box because guns need to fit me. Bring the gun up and the red dot is there and on target. No searching, it’s there. It may be higher than in the past, don’t worry about that. Make it work for you and not you for it. USPSA is much like wingshooting where shotgun fit makes a huge difference in shooting speed and it’s a game of split seconds.

Story time, “does something worthwhile”… I also shoot a 10" Ruger Charger SBR in Steel Challenge which is drag racing with firearms. Check it out on youtube if you don’t know what it is. The mass of the gun hinders the gun getting going slightly and slows down the stopping of the gun when on target. When I first started I was trying the 25 round mags that are molded back to back for 50 rounds held in the gun. Just flip the mag to use the other 25 rounds. That additional mass of the 50 rounds sucked bigtime and I noticed it. That was the last time I used them for competition. For plinking they’re fine. What do I use now? No more than a 15 round magazine of which I have one that came with the Charger, the rest are 10 rounders. So what if I have to change the mag after each go? That gives me time to settle down and there’s no excess “fat” on my gun and that lack of mass allows me to move the gun a split second faster. In USPSA I want the biggest reasonable mags I can get because a mag change is slow no matter how fast I do it. If there’s a mandatory mag change I use the smallest mags I can get away with to reduce mass and keep the gun nimble.

I need all the tricks I can get since I’m an old fart and don’t move so good anymore. A friend mentioned that at one match, “There’s Brian, walking through the stage.”. He was absolutely correct, I have to get my speed elsewhere and I recognized that early on. I shoot fast and accurate, but at running? I suck bigtime at running. Didn’t used to be that way 50+ years ago, but today that’s the way it is so I need to compensate and get my speed and points where I can. But in it all remember that it’s a game and supposed to be fun.

7 Likes

I’ve always sucked at running. I’ve always been on the “rotund” side but even at my lightest weight, I hated running and only did it when absolutely necessary. I might get up to a fast walk during matches but that’s about it. Like you, I try to be as accurate as possible with my shots. Doesn’t always work but I try. Hopefully that will be easier with the new rig.

Great tips by the way. I fully intend on making this gun as “user friendly” for me as possible. At 7 lbs. out of the box, she’s gonna be a little chunky no matter what but I may be able to do some aftermarket stuff to lighten her up as time goes on.

7 Likes

Sig Sauer Romeo-MSR

8 Likes