Keeping spares and keeping your rifle going long term

That’s true…
Had a detective tell me years ago that there was no need for me to carry a pistol. I countered his statement with “then there is no need for you to carry yours, or your bulletproof vest, or that MP-5 A3 you have in the trunk”
He shut up…

5 Likes

I am not convinced “battle field” pick ups are going to be “everywhere”. Also, I will take my guns over beat to shit full auto military issued stuff, ymmv. I know my firearms have been maintained properly, I do not know that with a “pick up” and from all I have read the militaries idea of maintenance is “less than desirable”.

4 Likes

What that prepper saying? 1 is none, 2 is one. I like having 2 identical guns and thinking of them as 1 gun with spare parts. Better yet, have 4 of them!

7 Likes

Good point. From a “prepper” standpoint my 3 ARs actually equate to a single rifle in a long term (talking months to years scenario) SHTF. My AK and SKS turn into emergency replacement/loaners.

Key to long term sustainability is that whatever your primary/daily carry will be, have a good selection of common parts that WILL fail sooner or later. On a AR (DI at least) that means gas rings, ejectors and extractors along with springs, firing pins, spare bolt (have head space gauges with that), gas tubes, etc…

Whatever someone chooses, it just makes sense to have spare parts.

6 Likes

Bump

1 Like

@Joe-Bob Automatically Discharged
Just now.

4 Likes

LOL, can’t you manage any control over your discharge?

3 Likes

20200107_094832

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

wish that wasn’t so funny

kinda had flatulent discharge in mind but leave it to you

6 Likes

@Sonny

3 Likes

When the crows be pickin’ at yo’ flesh and you got no control of the sitiation, say @Sonny Bring me my gun.

@Caw @Belt-Fed @LonewolfMcQuade @Joe time for derailment :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I really should get another BCG. I only have one complete one for the ar…

5 Likes

sonny sent me a PM and said he’s huntin you down if you don’t stop doin his job.

4 Likes

Sonny who?

5 Likes

Bono? He died in a skiing accident or something?? Don’t think he’ll be hurting anybody anytime soon

2 Likes

As part of my military career I got to play with everything small arms our gobermint had at that time.
As a regimental armorer I had to insure the company armorers had enough parts to cover breakage.
Normally operator error, not weapon failure.

Now that I am old and retired, I ha few rifles. ALL 30 cal. Even the wife and daughters AR are.
Each gas gun has its own parts kit. Plus I carry a armorers kit where ever I go. (now where did that come from :wink:
The M1 Garand has all its OEM parts in a bag. It has all new parts in it. The ARs is what the kit is for
everyone knows who to bring their stuff to when they break.
Funny thing, the lever guns take no spare parts. (hint,hint)

6 Likes

Over the years I have begun to dislike the lever actions being produced. Sloppy machining and lack of refinement. Winchester has forgotten how to tumble and debur a part… but they know how to charge for them!
I have spare parts for my spare parts… spare guns for spare guns… with spare parts for all of those.

Something else to ponder… spare sights and something I see constantly… no spare ammo!
I have guys come into the shop telling me they have 10 ar 15s… and they have 500 rounds of ammo.
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Probably the best way to keep your shootin’ iron running is to have plenty of spare parts.
Not necessarily because you might actually need them but to offset Murphy’s law.
If you have the spare parts, you won’t need them.

4 Likes

Yep…
While I have had to replace countless parts on other people’s firearms, I really have never had a failure on any of my personal ones. While I do maintenance, I do run them to the point where there my possibly be a failure, then replace the parts. Round count… hahhaaa

5 Likes

Bump…

4 Likes