Kel tec. Is it worth the money?

Anyone like the Kel- tech folding AR in 223? Have considered getting the 9mm rifle but can’t decide between the two.

2 Likes

I have almost bought the kel-tec SU-16 I think that the only reason that I haven’t and most likely won’t is because I attempt to be logical with 223/556 rifles. If I really needed to use a rifle for a bad situation and the option was a su-16 or a run of the mill ar15, I always choose the ar15. Don’t get me wrong I think that it is a awesome idea, and I have never heard a bad review. They are extremely light rifles as well.

3 Likes

I had one of the first Kel tec sub 2000 9mm’s. It was fun when it worked! Trigger was awful, jammed a good bit with the 33 round glock mags, and the 1st time I let my asshole brother try it, the trigger broke in half! I sent it back, they hauled ass& got it back to me quick. Still jammed a lot. You get what you pay for imho. Junk! Ok for the range, i would not trust my life to the brand!

5 Likes

Thank you for that. I like yourself have my good old Ruger sr15. That’s my battle rifle. In a pinch I can toss someone a mag and they all fit and parts are available all over. I was just thinking about one for back packing.

S.Sgt 45th\43rd Idaho Lightfoot Militia. Rich Labonte

3 Likes

I’ve heard of the early models being junk. The new ones are supposed to be better. I want one just for back packing where weight is more an issue. I have a Ruger SR15 for when it gets real. Thanks

3 Likes

Well hell Rich if you already have a sr15, nice rifle by the by, and you have the money sure I think you should get one. It’s a perfect backpack rifle!

Bought a Kel-Tec PMR-30 last December as an xmas present to myself… It was horribly unreliable and down right dangerous. So I sold it earlier this year and bought two Mosins instead.

I am a sample set of one but I wasn’t a fan of the fit and finish of it or the Sub 2k that I ran. Both felt cheaply made (the polymer was pretty thin). Again, a sample set of one here.

3 Likes

Thanks. I guess your not the only one that has said that.

1 Like

I bought a Keltec KSG, so far love the shotgun…I have heard also that there old stuff were a little shite but apparently they are sprucing up a bit. I ought to contact them, since they are located in my state, maybe I’ll do a review???..cheers!

5 Likes

[Keltec…KSG]

My wife’s experience on the firearm!!

7 Likes

almost a bloke on the range flavour mid way…

3 Likes

Did want the pmr 30, never did buy one, use to be on sale and cheap back before pandemonium hit. At the old prices even if they did have inherent problems from what I read all were fixable. For the price back when, was something to tinker with and not break the bank.

The shotgun on the other hand, I have never used but seen and handled in lgs, made me look at reviews and several (not all) videos I watched had malfunctions. Didn’t win my confidence as a hd/tactical firearm.

4 Likes

I have yet to have any issues with Kel-Tec, owned a bunch of them. the SUB2000’s do have horrible triggers, probably over the years fired several thousand rounds through them and maybe had a handful of malfunctions, so few I can’t actually remember them, fired about every 9mm round through them, mostly steel cased. PMR30’s can be finicky until you get at least 100 rounds through them then they seem to run just fine, I have CC’d them off and on for years and was never afraid they would not work, The CMR30’s I can’t remember any malfunctions out of them, accuracy was so-so past 50 but always worked. I have two of the P17’s and rarely any malfunctions and I believe those have been ammo more than the pistol. I never owned any of the 5.56 stuff since the AR is my go to.

6 Likes

There is no Kel Tecs to be bought cause you own all them. they had to hire on a big overtime crew just to produce the PMR30’s you own. :rofl:

6 Likes

Have one in 40. It is in my briefcase. I bought it years ago because my rifle wouldn’t fit.

I have upgraded the sights, stock and forearm. The trigger is literally the worst I have ever owned. I really need to change that out, but it has always gone bang and never failed to eject a case. If it wasn’t so light and compact I might go for an AR pistol w/brace to replace it.

One boy got the KSG, and the P17, he seems pretty happy with both.

8 Likes

Pics? i have the 40 and sights suck. would like to see another option.

4 Likes

All I did was change out the stock blade and install the upgrade fiber optic. Also added a laser for low visibility, and have a Romeo 5 for it too. The laser is a handy quick way to check/adjust the Romeo. The fiber optic front sight is how I check the laser first.

20220131_134957

6 Likes

Nice, i’ll have to check into them sights. Here’s my hunk of plastic

6 Likes

Dern you Ridgewalker, now yer fixin to make me go do some changes, back later with pics. :rofl:

6 Likes

Ahh you have a Gen 2. Kick much? You have a better butt pad. Do you have a recoil buffer?

Nice thing about the Gen 2 you can modify them for different magazines. Mine I am stuck with Glock, can’t switch to CZ.

6 Likes