Kimber Micro 9- Weird Primer Strikes

My EDC gun is a little Kimber Micro 9. I’ve only had it for a few months but I really like this little gun. The one issue that I have is the primer strikes. This gun has yet to have a FTF of any sort. Runs like a champ. BUT when you look at the primers on the spent casings, you would swear they were light primer strikes. There is barely a dimple in some of them yet every single one has fired.

Is this an issue I should be concerned with? I kind of wonder just because it’s working now, could these become actual light strikes later on?

Would like some thoughts and opinions from those more knowledgeable with gunsmithing than myself.

8 Likes

Post a pic of the primers

6 Likes

I don’t have any on hand to post but have a 10mm that barely marks the primers at all, let alone dimple, and they go off :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Will try to get a pic up this weekend. I will have to dig a few out of the reload pile.

6 Likes

OK…. 6 months later…. :roll_eyes:

This is what my primers look like after being shot through my Kimber Micro 9. Doesn’t matter what brand of ammo or primers, they all look like this.

But I have yet to get a failure to fire.

7 Likes

I have a 10mm that are lighter than that, still boom

7 Likes

All I know is that it’s one of the tiniest primer strikes I’ve ever seen. As long as it continues to function, I’m gonna leave it be. More concerned with the extractor after this last incident.

7 Likes

weird the primer itself has a bump in the center.

7 Likes

They all look like that after they come out of the Kimber. Not sure what is going on in there but the pic is very typical of every casing ejected from that gun. I’ve never seen any other gun leave a mark like that. Haven’t been overly concerned because the gun goes “BANG” every time I pull the trigger but it is definitely a weird strike.

7 Likes

Must be a small recess in the slide face where the firing pin comes through which causes that bump. Primer looks a bit flat from pressure, although nothing extreme. I still see a radius at the edge of the cup when I blow up the picture. Steel case ammo the primer cup is probably the softest component.

6 Likes

Googled light primer strikes and found similar

5 Likes

Yup. Mine look really close to those but the bump isn’t as pronounced or as big around in diameter.

5 Likes

The primer dent was deeper. The primer has flowed back into the firing pin channel making it look shallower than it really is. The channel the firing pin is in is just a tad to large. I will check the brass on my micro 9 in the next day or two and see if mine does the same thing.

6 Likes

I would appreciate that! If that’s all it is, I won’t continue to worry about it. As I’ve said already, the gun goes bang every time there’s a bullet in the chamber and I pull the trigger so if it’s not a problem, don’t fix it! :smile:

5 Likes

Here are 2 emptys from my micro9.
No flow back into the firing pin channel.

Here is a pic of my Creedmoor brass. It has flow back into the firing pin channel.
No big deal. I could spend money on a bolt w/a smaller firing pin channel but I don’t think it is necessary.

6 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the pics!

I think all will be OK though. Those little dimples seem to be a far more common thing than I realized up until now. As long as she keeps going “BANG” when I pull the trigger, I’m not gonna futz with it.

5 Likes

I don’t really see a problem.

5 Likes

I’m inclined to agree Jeff.

1 Like