Kimber

So I am wanting to replace my current EDC (Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm). In the past, I have carried Glocks and then the S&W. I am really falling in love with the 1911 platform but carrying a full size 1911 is out of the question. Tried it and it just doesn’t work with my frame etc. I really like the look and feel of the Kimber Ultra carry series. I also like that a lot of them come in 9mm as I think with the 3-inch barrel I would be better served with a 9mm as opposed to a 45. In researching, I hear all kinds of things about Kimber good and bad. Do any of you have these and can give me feedback on them? Also according to one youtube guy I was listening to on the Kimber Ultra series if it is a “2” it is a series 80 and if it doesn’t say “2” then it is a series 70. I have been looking for confirmation of this but so far I haven’t been able to confirm or debunk this.

6 Likes

@DTA13, I haven’t had any experience in the ultra carry but overall…love my Kimber custom II. The bad, I have had some trouble with the trigger reset but easily fixed with resetting it!

4 Likes

Starting tomorrow, eat 4 boxes of Little Debbie “BIG” Fudge Rounds per day, everyday, till your frame can comfortably carry & conceal a full size 1911…You’re welcome :+1:

6 Likes

If you love the 1911 (like your supposed to) then the Sig series of micro 1911’s are the carry gun to get

5 Likes

I have 5 Kimbers 2 being of the Ultra Carry in .45ACP flavor. Good guns. But not all .45 ammo will expand out of any short barrel. I moved from the .45 ACP to 9mm a decade ago (before Kimber had anything in 9mm) and did it with the M&P series. My EDC now is an M&P 9c and my old competition gun is a 5" CORE. For the 9c, with 2 mags I can carry 40 rounds which I feel better represents todays threat which I hope I never get to see. But no one ever said, “Gee, I wish I didn’t carry so much ammo.”, after having to use some of it. Why do I carry a 9c? Because I really can’t carry an AR-15 or PCC while in town, otherwise that’s what I would carry. :smiley:

FWIW, it took some time to get accustomed to the trigger of the M&P, but Apex parts and some work made it much better than the stock trigger.

Can’t help with the Kimber 1911s chambered for 9mm, but if they didn’t downsize the grip area to accommodate it I think I would look elsewhere.

Good luck with your search for what will work for you.

3 Likes

I have 2 ultra carrys 1 out of the custom shop. Both shoot and carry well. Both are in 45. Gold dots 185 grain have expanded out of the 3 in barrel in everything I have shot with them. Yes any model marked 2 has a firing pin safety but it works off the grip safety NOT the trigger. All 3 of my Kimbers are the original series. I am considering the smaller 9mm Kimber came out with.

6 Likes

I own 3 Kimber’s and TBH they are overpriced for what you get. Look into some of the 1911’s that Remington has been building. They are reasonably priced, fun and very well built.

4 Likes

I’ve got two Kimbers. An Ultra Raptor and a CDP II.
Both in 45 and never had feeding issues with either. The Raptor was my EDC for a long time with no complaints except for cosmetic holster ware.

About a year ago I switched my EDC to a PPQ M2 for the added capacity.

Overpriced? Perhaps. But dang sexy and for me, always reliable.

7 Likes

On your raptor what is the texturing like that is on the front strap? It looks pretty aggressive. I tend to like aggressive grips. Also does the back of the main spring housing also have that texturing? I know that is replaceable but I think it would be nice if it matched.

4 Likes

Every 1911 thats not shooting full metal jacket will have a feed issue eventually. I have glock’s, sigs and Baretta’s that are 5k plus rounds without a single feed issue. I have yet to own a 1911 by ANY company that doesn’t eventually choke on a hollow point.

4 Likes

Well obviously most of the thousands of range rounds put through them have been FMJ but I’ve also put at least several hundred rounds of my carry ammo (various brands of HP) without out a hiccup.

I ain’t speaking for everyone but that’s my experience with the Raptor. I’ve got a full size S&W and it has had its share if HP feeding issues.

6 Likes

Well I don’t know what I’d call it but it is aggressive (front strap) and easy to hold on to. Same pattern on the slide. The back a little less so but feels great.

6 Likes

@mquinn55, I would call it Old School Kimber Raptor checkering.
The holster wear looks Bad Ass👍

6 Likes

They call it chain link checkering
It’s a bit aggressive on some pistols but it does feel very nice

6 Likes

Lol. I know, right?
Looks sexier with wear.
Kinda like us old guys.

6 Likes

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45. It has never failed to feed anything, including hollow points. However, my SA 9mm 1911 EMP does have issues with certain hollow points. Don’t know about the 9mm Kimber.

5 Likes

A lot of 1911 guys say that if its got an external extractor its not really a 1911.

3 Likes

meh, you could say that if it chambers anything other than 45 then couldn’t you?

4 Likes

Yep. I had a guy lecture me on how a Colt Delta Elite is NOT(!!!) A 1911, its a 1911 inspired pistol but not a true 1911. :roll_eyes: :rabbit: :hole:

5 Likes

This is bollocks imo
Although I’m not a fan of the external extractor
It wouldn’t disqualify it in my book

5 Likes