Knife project #1 - making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Hello all,

As some of you may already know, I am not one to shy away from a project if I dont have the most effective tools for the job. Also, I think it may be interesting to go through the exercise of seeing what I can do with more basic tools. Well, today is no different and a new project has begun.

Tools I don’t have:
Belt sander
Angle grinder
Furnace

I got 3 flat bars of 1095 from Amazon. Some knife company is selling them. 12"x1.5"x0.187"

As received:

Instead of starting with a large/long knife I decided to make 2 smaller knives out of one of those bars. The idea is to have short tangs that would still give me about 4.5" of blade.

Thought about drilling a few holes and then using the hacksaw to cut the slot. Realized that the hacksaw I have now doesnt allow for 90° blade rotation. So I decided to drill a bunch of holes, then cut the webbing between using a riffler file, then used a free hacksaw blade (pull method with saw blade handheld) to finish cutting the webbing.

Then it was time to cut the blanks apart from the edge to the slot running down the bar.

Huge issue - the edges where these bars were cut are super hard. Even files don’t bite. So I had to use a diamond file to cut notches and then using a hacksaw finish the cuts.

I know what you may be thinking… why didn’t I use rotary tools, my mill, etc. The answer is in the original intro of this post.

Tools used so far:

Power drill
Riffler file (could have been avoided if I still had a hacksaw where the blade could be turned 90° to frame)
Hacksaw
Diamond file (could have been avoided if better steel selection was made)

10 Likes

Oooooh this is exciting!!! Wanna make me one? :wink:

6 Likes

Just a thought. How about anealing it now. Do all the grinding etc. Then heat treat it after. Should be much easier to work on that way

3 Likes

The steel @Mosinvirus has is annealed. My guess is it was laser cut to width, leaving a hard edge where it was cut. Once he got past that with the diamond file, the hacksaw blade could take over.

4 Likes

How do you know one of them is not yours?

It is annealed. Only the very edges where these were cut from a sheet are hard.

Exactly. Now I am thinking I could just “etch” the edges away/off.

3 Likes

This is going to be a great thread.

5 Likes

Here is a close up of the edges. You can clearly see the edge got some heat.

4 Likes

Looking forward to see how you’ll harden and temper the steel. I’m thinking you’re going to be a little creative?

4 Likes

Uh oh. Should I be worried?! :smile:

2 Likes

Not sure yet if I will do it myself or if I will send them out to someone else.

4 Likes

Subbed, I love a knife making thread.

4 Likes

“Can Do” attitude! :+1:

3 Likes

Knife making has been on my bucket list for a while. Can’t wait to see how it turned out. Gonna start making knife videos?

4 Likes

Yes, all of the stuff in this thread will be on video as well.

4 Likes

Stoked! I cannot wait.

2 Likes

Cool! I have been getting back into playing with blades… I want to see your progress!

3 Likes

Sweet!

3 Likes

Great thread/project…you sir, have my attention :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you all,

Today vinyl tape came so I can mask off the blanks and try to etch the edges away. That is the plan anyway. Will be taking video and posting preview pics here.

This whole hard edge business slammed the brakes on this project. If I had a belt grinder/sander it would have made things a lot easier, but let’s see what we can do without one. Once the edge is gone we will be back in business.

BTW, the only reason I had not uploaded a video yet is because I condensed the footage to about 4 minutes, and there isn’t a whole lot to show yet. Just the separation of the two blanks. Hopefully this weekend I will start shaping and this may just be enough for Part 1.

What do you think? Part it out, or keep condensing until the entire knife build is one video?

3 Likes

How long do you anticipate the final runtime being? If its more than half an hour I vote separate parts.

3 Likes