Knife project #1 - making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Subbed, I love a knife making thread.

4 Likes

“Can Do” attitude! :+1:

3 Likes

Knife making has been on my bucket list for a while. Can’t wait to see how it turned out. Gonna start making knife videos?

4 Likes

Yes, all of the stuff in this thread will be on video as well.

4 Likes

Stoked! I cannot wait.

2 Likes

Cool! I have been getting back into playing with blades… I want to see your progress!

3 Likes

Sweet!

3 Likes

Great thread/project…you sir, have my attention :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you all,

Today vinyl tape came so I can mask off the blanks and try to etch the edges away. That is the plan anyway. Will be taking video and posting preview pics here.

This whole hard edge business slammed the brakes on this project. If I had a belt grinder/sander it would have made things a lot easier, but let’s see what we can do without one. Once the edge is gone we will be back in business.

BTW, the only reason I had not uploaded a video yet is because I condensed the footage to about 4 minutes, and there isn’t a whole lot to show yet. Just the separation of the two blanks. Hopefully this weekend I will start shaping and this may just be enough for Part 1.

What do you think? Part it out, or keep condensing until the entire knife build is one video?

3 Likes

How long do you anticipate the final runtime being? If its more than half an hour I vote separate parts.

3 Likes

Not sure how long it will be so I am probably going to break it up…

Also, didnt have a whole lot of time tonight, but decided to try to etch the edge away. Gave it 10 minutes.

Here is a result. Should work to remove the edge.

8 Likes

That whole idea to Etch the edge away kind of failed.
The second half I simply sanded the edges down on.

Shape I am going with

6 Likes

Could have heated that spot past blue and used the hacksaw.

3 Likes

If you need the whole edge softened just put it in the oven at 500 for an hour. As long as it gets to light blue it should be soft enough to work with hand tools.

3 Likes

Could have and should have done that.

2 Likes

A little update.

The bevels were filed flat following the contour of the edge, then I tapered the sides which changed the bevels width/height.

Top of the blade was rounded.

Sanding under way. This was used 220 grit sandpaper.

8 Likes

Looking great @Mosinvirus

5 Likes

Oh man, looking good!

3 Likes

Looks real good!

1 Like

Thank you all.

I am thinking I will leave bolster and handle work to after it comes back from heat treat.

2 Likes