Laptop Problems?

Having trouble with your laptop computer?
I recently discovered an informative article on the subject.
The writer explained why just buying another brand of laptop doesn’t help much.
Apparently they are all made from the parts from the same sources.
And they usually have exactly the same problems, regardless of the brand name on them.
Oh well, maybe my next computer will be a desktop not a laptop.
Just a thought.

1 Like

Having trouble with your laptop computer?
I recently discovered an informative article on the subject.
The writer explained why just buying another brand of laptop doesn’t help much.
Apparently they are all made from the parts from the same sources.
And they usually have exactly the same problems, regardless of the brand name on them.
Oh well, maybe my next computer will be a desktop not a laptop.
How did this get put under the heading of "Add an airgun heading?’’
Can it be moved to a more suitable section?

Done. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

uhh

looks like you are

and no, laptops are not that simple, sure, plenty are branded different from the same sources but not flat across the board

and I’ve been using whats called a desktop replacement which is a large laptop for years,

I’ve had a few and because they are larger they cool better and last longer, heat is destructive, keep them clean and always use an elevated cooler

1 Like

I’ve done some repairs and replacements on the wife’s chromebook and it’s not too tricky, but I think she needs something more robust or durable. Desktops are more standardized for parts imho

2 Likes

I have a desktop that is 9 years old. If I bought a new one I would probably die of shock on how fast the new ones are

3 Likes

Best place for an old laptop is 1000yds down range…

3 Likes

Thanks for moving my contribution from the airgun section.
We have two laptops considered as top of the line.
Both are Lenova.
Both have all kinds of goofy goings on.
I’m convinced the only truly replacement for a desktop is a desktop.
They run cooler by design and last way longer than any laptop I’ve ever owned.
The last laptops worked for two to three years.
The last desktop kept going like the ever- ready bunny for nearly nine years before it finally gave up its ghost.
Yup, my next computer will be a desktop for sure.
Thanks for listening.

1 Like

8570w can be found refurbed for about 400, I’ve set up I believe 6 total for myself and others, never any indication they were used at all, look new to me

If you cant find with SSD just add one

I actually bought one as a spare for parts

when you ready search one out

I have an 11 Y/o desktop that still clocks 4.8 GHz with a true 16 bit vCard (true PCI 16) and a ROG Maximus IX Hero and Gskill RGB ram, Samsung 500gb SSA and Seagate 2Terabyte Hybrid drive. Haven’t seen anything that it will not run or even slows down on soooo…
It does the job well and is way more computing power than I will ever need. Oh yeah it is an Intel 7200 Koby lake cpu with a 212 air cooler, with a Corsair HX750 modular P/S, oh and a Bluray burner and a multidisc DVD burner, in in a Cooler Master HAF 932 case

1 Like

The female Spanish version of Lenovo :wink: I meant what you know though

1 Like

Lenovo aka ibm used to be top of the line I think, Alienware had some higher end and apple also, HP and dell all have various versions.

1 Like

Tried a couple of their desktop replacements,

and they ended up in the parts bins

they were common foreign parts in branded cases, nothing all that special

yeah, their focus was ‘gaming’ types. I guess there is the toughbook type - extreme rugged, but still not sure I need to go there. old screens you can sometimes buy adapters for and make them a monitor, hdd can be re-used for storage with an adapter also but the rest is junk when done unless you have the same model

1 Like

Decide what you need, what you want to spend then go and find the laptop that most closely fits both your requirements. Suggestion get a ssd it will boost the performance of even a mediocre laptop a lot.

1 Like