Learn me ‘bout PCP air guns

So with ammo hard to find and waaay too expensive, I stumbled on an upcoming show on the Sportsman’s Network called American Airgunner.
The next show will be about Hog Hunting with the Daystate Renegade .30 cal. (Link below).
Sounds fun and with ammo what it is… I’ll check it out.

Somewhat more than I expected at $1600, but thinking about it.

The I scrolled down and took a look around.

A spare 5 round mag $99
A 100 cf portable tank for refills $735
4500psi portable compressor $835

So is this normal or inflated like everything else gun related?

Are there good but cheaper options for something like a hog, coyote or the south end of a northbound Antifa type?

Experienced opinions appreciated.

11 Likes

@mquinn55, Here’s my PCP a Benjamin Marauder Air Pistol, built by Wicked Air Rifles 25cal tack driver. The whole thing fits inside a small backpack.
! Awesome small game killer👍 you have good taste Daystate one of the best made.

11 Likes

I know very little about them, but they come in calibers big enough to dispatch Bison.

I don’t think the price for the compressor is out of bounds unless it’s arm, back, and foot powered. (if that’s even possible)

8 Likes

I get a catalog from Pyramid Air that has incredible things - like .50 cal air rifles of medium game capacity.

Me, I have an “adult” size Red Ryder I take along in the morning when walking the dog before I go to work and it’s a BALL at 300 fps with BBs and targets of opportunity. Have a scoped Benjamin Prowler .177 at 1,100 fps for small banyard pests. But I can see a heavier air gun would have uses. Napoleon had a standing execution order for Austrians found with the then lethal air-rifles like the one Lewis & Clark took west and killed deer with.

11 Likes

Mark PM sent concerning your questions have fun picking one out👍

10 Likes

I got a Hatson .22 cal break action that shoots great. I can’t contribute on big bore air rifles.

10 Likes

I can’t either. The last name I knew in them was Quakenbush and I know there are lots more today. That’s how dated my knowledge of it is.

10 Likes

Thanks all. Had a good back and forth wit Keith on PM (thanks @SAK )

Thinking I’m gonna start cheap but decent with this Umarex and a tank ( if I can find a local place to fill it. Not a lot of scuba shops up here.). If I have as much fun as i think I will, I’ll spend some bigger bucks down the road.

Again thanks, Pyramid Air was also a great resource. Thanks @Stumpkiller

11 Likes

Mark,:+1:

9 Likes

I have been told some fire stations can fill your air tank. Worth checking in to.

10 Likes

Have fun,

6 Likes

instead just buy something like this, instead of a spare bottle

there are few different types .
The advantages
100% fill 100% of the time
other than plinking where you might go through a fill - the convenience of the spare air bottle is easily overshadowed by the compressor. (besides the manual pump can always be used as a back up for that cardio you didn’t get this week)
I was going ,25 and 30 cal but in the long run it was cheaper to get powder burners (since I have to jump through the same hoops to buy either).

9 Likes

Good point. I’d been going back and forth on both.

So quick question. Can a compressor like this be used to load up a bottle as well? Or is that too much work in terms of volume?

8 Likes

yes
might take 20-30 minutes and depends on the bottles - I was going to use a scot air 4500 and that would have taken about 1 1/2 hours.
I was trying to find it’s cfms but for most pcp rifles it would be 10 minutes from dead to red

8 Likes

Air Venturi make quality stuff i would recommend getting both. I’ve got a shoebox compressor works great, just slow to fill. A bottle is mandatory for me mine’s tuned for 8 full power shots then I’m dry.The bottle allows me to stay out in the field hunting for as long as needed. Lately I’ve been having the local paintball Fortress fill my tank for me, five bucks to fill.

8 Likes