left hand 1/16 drill bit

Hello, All
Why do you use a left hand 1/16" bit. I assume it is for the ejector hole, but why the reverse direction?

9 Likes

it is to counter the Coriolis effect…

8 Likes

Or for use below the equator?

7 Likes

Very helpful!

End Mill kit comes with fixture,bit kit and lapping compound “frame not included”.

This fixture is used to

• Cut rail grove
  • Deck height
  • Sear location
  • Hammer location

Kit includes:

End Mill Fixture

#22 Drill bit

#35 Drill bit

#1/16 (left handed) Drill bit

High speed steel 7/64 key cutter

High speed steel 1/2 End mill bit

Lapping compound

8 Likes

I have normally used a left hand bit to remove broken screws - works like an easy out

8 Likes

Yes, have a whole set of them, but, why in a 80%1911 jig setup?
Got an email into 1911builders.com

7 Likes

The reverse drill bit is for installing the ejector pin
Once you fit the ejector and tap it in flush
You use the reverse bit to ream the whole
It also cuts the notch in the ejector for the pin to fit in and hold it in place

Honestly this bit is crucial it makes one of the harder parts of building easy
With this bit fitting installing a ejector takes 2 min

7 Likes

Thanks for the help. Got a message back from TJ at 1911 builders . com:

“The left handed bit is for notching the front leg of the ejector for the cross pin installation. Use a file to start the notch then the bit to remove the rest of the material. Drill from the right side of the frame with the drill in reverse. Be careful no to snap it off and hold down the ejector while drilling.
If your not comfortable doing it option B is to use red loctite. I have on several builds and never had an issue when using a locking agent.”

6 Likes

Lol
It seriously makes a hard job super easy

6 Likes

Would a 1/16" center cutting end mill do the trick?

3 Likes

Drills run in either direction, clockwise or counter clockwise.
Just put the switch in the direction wanted.
See how simple life can be.
Or are you referring to something else, like maybe the twist or pitch of the drill bit?

4 Likes

Nothing special, just curious what the advantage was of the left hand bit.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s the equivalent of the left handed monkey wrench.

4 Likes

I’ve used them to back out broken screws in conjunction with an e z out but I have learned something on this thread about it’s application in a build. Thank you all once again.

5 Likes

The advantage is honestly when the bit is in reverse it pull the ejector down into the frame instead of pushing it up and out
That said you should still hold the ejector in place with your thumb

6 Likes

Worked well, came in from the right side and everything groovy.
Could come in from the left side with a regular bit but the bore would be shorter less meat to stabilize the bit.

5 Likes

Nice kit from 1911 Builders. Solid jigs. Top quality parts in my opinion. Good communication from the shop.
Left to do: Smooth out the action, cut the bobtail radius on the grips, shorten the dustcover, blending. May replace the beavertail with one that requires fitting, see if I can tighten up the gap.

6 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes