Let’s keep posting a new 1911 project

Y’all making me want to start another build. I already built an AR this year. Maybe if @LonewolfMcQuade ever sends me @Belt-Fed :visa: i can get started. I got a frame and a couple barrels.

11 Likes

A double barrel, hmmm…

11 Likes

Gonna need a lot of your time to design and build that.

11 Likes

Believe it or not, I have actually thought about it.
LOL

11 Likes

With your abilities I’m sure it would be excellent. Man we need to get you out of commiefornia so you can get back to building.

12 Likes

Any progress on this

9 Likes

Just got the slide in today. Has a good, tight fit. I can work with this.

13 Likes

That looks great!

10 Likes

Hows it slide?

Looks tight, a few well spent minutes with some valve lapping compound might be in order :wink:

9 Likes

It’s just about there. Smooth through the operating range other than the very slightest of sticking at full rear. A little tighter sliding it forward to remove. With the aluminum frame I haven’t had to use any compound to mate it, just manual manipulation has been sufficient.

I’m in no hurry with this build, so I will be taking my time completing it. Hopefully it’s not too slow of progress for y’all. I’ve been going back and forth on things like whether I want to change out parts like the trigger or hammer or whatever parts that come with the Sarco kit and whether the added expense is really worth it to me. I’m not trying to build a full custom masterpiece (obvious by using Sarco parts), just a decent looking and reliable plinker. Just ordered a 9mm firing pin, firing pin stop, and extractor. Still need ejector, slide stop, barrel, and springs.

I’ll be looking at the trigger/trigger tracks and mag catch next.

10 Likes

At the very rearward travel the slide groove end geometry and the frame rail start geometry are not always the same and can feel like the frame wedges into the slide.

But don’t forget that the guide rod head is sandwiched between the slide dust cover and recoil shoulder of the frame so the slide can’t travel that far to the rear under normal conditions, so don’t go altering those frame rail starts just to get rid of that “wedge” feel without the guide rod in there.

11 Likes

Once your finished the actual action will smooth out with use and hand cycling

Don’t use a lapping compound off you don’t have too
You can almost never get it all out and it keeps grinding
The aluminum frames are realitivley soft
I always use a rail file to get to final depth and fit
You got pretty lucky there with cutting the rails before you actually had the slide in hand

10 Likes

Your the best igor
I miss talking to you I’ve been so busy I haven’t been here much at all

10 Likes

Same here, man. Super busy and very tired of the house remodel. Almost 2 years.

10 Likes

Got trigger track and trigger bow in shape, back of mag catch filed flush to frame, slightly chamfered sear and hammer pin holes, did some fitting and initial test fit of fire control parts and all working fine at this point. Received TR Pro sear jig and stoned the sear face. Received and installed slide parts, waiting on springs and some pins to show up, as well as ejector, barrel, and slide stop. It’s coming together too fast…waiting for the shoe to drop.

I initially planned to dehorn this build, but now having second thoughts. I’m not confident in my filing skills to keep lines straight and have a nice end result. I also need to get on the ball with troubleshooting the oven I plan to use for cerakoting but I’m dreading it, mostly out of laziness if I’m being honest. No way in hell I could do a 2 year house remodel, not to mention the lack of skills to do it.

11 Likes

Dehorning your pistol just takes time you really only need to break the edges of your work piece
Then sand paper takes care of the rest
If your worried about straight even lines
I suggest you use layout dye it helps tremendously

Another thing that I’ve noticed about your thread is the order in witch you build
It’s random to me
That being said I’m pretty meticulous about the order of the way things are built
I would have never started with out all parts in hand
I would have fit the barrel before I even started on fcg parts
Just my .02

10 Likes

I’m working on it in order of assembly of the frame. I’m using a Sarco kit as the basis of my parts kit, but it’s a 9mm build so I didn’t have all parts on hand to start. I can understand that you might want to have all parts in hand before beginning. I’m fine with piecing things together as I go and taking more of a just-in-time inventory policy. I started with the frame since that’s what I already have in hand and can get quite a way without 9mm specific parts. I’ve done slide first in past builds but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on final build quality with my personal builds which half is completed in which order. I’m certainly no Baer, Wesson, Wilson, Odin or Mosin, but they work for me. I try to learn something and get a little better with each one. These are personal workshops.

Even your responses are better laid out than mine!

11 Likes

Didn’t mean to be offensive if that’s the way you took it

It just made me curious of the order
Maybe I’ll try that the next Time

10 Likes

Nope, no offense taken. I was just trying to explain my rationale in my build sequence and that I doubt I’ve built as many as yourself and I know for sure not as many as Igor. I’ve had lots of different build projects going on at once and have had to spread the spending out among them all and order parts as needed.

My responses tend to be wordy. It’s just how I communicate in written form. I can’t get it all down as fast as I think it. It’s an even bigger mess when it comes to spoken word for me!

12 Likes

A bit further along, been working on some other projects at the same time (story of my life). The slide sits a bit too far to the rear, so I need to work on the barrel link lug some so the thumb safety will engage. Other than that, everything else is functioning properly and she’s almost ready to test fire. If all goes well there, I’ll start psyching myself up for checkering the front strap. I have another frame I plan to build out as a .22LR host so I may practice on that one. I have the 25lpi file and currently waiting on the jig.

Bonus pics of other project, also in 9mm.

15 Likes