Lets Cast!!!

This place looks dead, lets liven it up a tad.

77221330_1744354482623119_8837394364029206528_n - Copy

11 Likes

Its only been here about a week longer than you, a coincidence or ? :hugs:

8 Likes

LOL :rofl:

12 Likes

Nice

8 Likes

I don’t want to be behind that door.

7 Likes

Very nice set up! Home made lube? Care to share the recipe?

Looks like alox/bees wax mix.

4 Likes

@Mick472 please give us an intro thread and let us know your reloading experience :hugs:

5 Likes

Well, I have been shooting big bore revolvers for 26 yrs. Shot a ton of Cast but never my own . So with the outrageous prices of a box of lead cast boolits I decided to start making my own .ordered a lee lead melting pot and a lee 2 cavity 300 grain mold and some gas checks , ordered my lead from roto-metals . After the initial couple 100 I will have my money back. Already went through a hundred that I personally made as one 5 pound bar yeilds 103 bullets for me at the weight and caluber I am shooting . Was surprised how easy it really was . I really like videos from fortunecookie45 on you-tube. Here is a pic of my bullets.

8 Likes

wow, those have a genuine quality look to them, well done

7 Likes

The critical things are temperature of the lead and get the mould hot but the latter isn’t all that critical if we just remelt the lousy bullets until they start to fill out the mould.

I started casting #4 buckshot not knowing what I was in for. From the Cast Boolit forum I gather that experienced casters can’t do it successfully. But I sorta figured what I wrote above, just not to the degree those factors would important to making buckshot. I was sorta successful after the mould got good and hot and not so much before that. That told me what I needed to do. Discussing it on the Cast Boolit Forum nailed it. The next session had very few culls. It turned out that what in my lack of knowledge I decided to tackle was an excellent way to learn.

Why is #4 buck so difficult? The mould makes 15(?) buckshot with each pour. The cavities have 3 buckshot connected by a tiny passageway. If the mould isn’t hot the lead solidifies in that passageway.

Bullets in contrast are easy. Same technique and considerations, just easier. After making my buckshot I cast some 12 ga slugs and that was almost like a vacation. No rushing to keep the mould hot. Lotsa lead in each pour and the mould stayed hot.

Nice looking bullets. Bases are hard to see, but lead bullets are steered from the base, so any lousy bases just recast them. Don’t waste time on bullets with anything other than a great base.

Question… Greased or coated? I’m going to suggest something. I use Hi-Tec (sp?) coating for one reason, it’s super easy and the gear required is easy to find. The coating is dissolved in a precise mix with acetone then a very small amount of the solution is put on the bullets in a container, then agitated to coat them. They get poured out onto a screen to dry, then they get baked to make the coating adhere. Repeat one more time and the bullets are done.

Other than containers that don’t dissolve the only major piece of gear is a used and discarded toaster/broiler oven. I’m working from memory but I think it needs to get to 400°F and held there for 20 minutes or so. That can be exceeded but not less temp or time. Before baking the coating won’t stay on the bullet, afterward it can’t and shouldn’t come off by hammering or with acetone on a rag and rubbing. Think of it like a polymer jacket instead of gilding metal. On days when I can’t cast I take my music out to the shop and start the production line. I can do a few thousand in a few hours of relaxation, I don’t rush it since there’s no need to. After coating they get sized and gas checked and no need for any grease.

9 Likes

Yeah I had to remelt some but it got better little by little then I got in that sweet spot

8 Likes

This week I am gonna make some more got 10 pounds of hardball waiting to go

8 Likes

I used alox on first couple batches but I am gonna try and make my own lube with alox and paste wax mix. I dont have a lubersizer . Just a sizing die . And I tumble lubed them in alox. I have to say not near the mess that a lot of guys said it was . Briak K I also will add that my revolver showed nearly no leading after range sessions using alox. And I think what one guy said was a 24hr. Drying period was the key to a less sticky situtation. Then I read in another site about using johnson liquid floor wax and alox and mineral spirits and tumble lubing it in that . But that wax is no longer available . So then I seen fortune cookie 45 making his own lube with toilet ring wax from home depot and I am gonna try a mix of the 2 ideas .

8 Likes

PC brother.

7 Likes

Wheres the fish pics?

8 Likes

Not familiar with what PC means ?

6 Likes

??

7 Likes

PC = Powder Coating

Brian has tons of experience. I have none. However it is how I am going to do it once I get my cast on.

8 Likes

I thpught the thread was about fishing when it said lets cast.

9 Likes

:joy:

8 Likes