Let's talk AKs people

I’m inclined to agree and for that price I might just save up for a VEPR.

2 Likes

I have a Saiga and they are easily converted back into a AK47 pretty easy, mag modification is very easy so they will use any AK mag. Palmetto State Armory build a pretty good AK for $500…they generally have them on sale with Magpul Folding stock and handguards…scope rail is also already attached…

2 Likes

VEPRs and WASRs tend to be the “standard”. I think Arsenal really is the best option, considering all the different choices available from the company. I’ve heard good things about the the Polish Beryl as well.

4 Likes

You can buy the Polish Beryl here in the states? I thought yhat was unobtanium. I hope an AK12 variant hits the U.S. market soon.

I havent looked to buy myself, but I know MrGunsAndGear was able to pick one up.

I recently bought a WASR-3 ( a Romanian AK chambered in 5.56X45mm from the CUGIR factory) and found it well out of headspace… by a good 4mm. Now I have the choice to rebarrel it. the two choices are 5.45x39mm or another 5.56x45mm barrel. Pros vs Cons?

1 Like

@phill92
Are you sure that you have a field gauge+ 4mm! If so that is huge!
Please for the love put a 5.45x39 barrel on it as long is a AK74 mag can be easily installed.
I’m not 100 % sure, but you may want to track down a 5.45 bolt. 223 base is .372”, 5.45 is .390” I don’t know if you have the room on your current bolt or just want to hit it with a end mill quick.
Pros:
1: cheaper ammo that is all over the internet ~.25 a piece.
2: the projectile is much longer than standard 55 gr .223.
3: the design of the cartridge is better “due to the tapered case”.
4: cheaper magazines.
Cons:
1: you will have to change a few things around for the conversion.
2: Russian ammo shooters will run into haters at the range.

2 Likes

Did anything ever come of this rifle ?

Not around here, AKs get as much love as AR15s. They seem to get more “cool” points among non-gun people or less serious gun people. I think that smaller ruskie round would be much more cool of a project and im an AR15 fan boy.

1 Like

You’d probably love the 5.45

1 Like

Giantspeed

I sent the rifle into a local shop. He agreed I needed to rebarrel. Now I’m just playing the waiting game

Did you stay with 5.56? It go 5.45?

I stayed 5.56 due to logistical reasons. If I buy bulk 5.56, I can feed both my AR, my WASR, and my brother’s AR. Otherwise I would have gone 5.45x39

1 Like

Sound choice
The conversion to 5.45. Am be a pain in the ass

I know I do!

1 Like

The only one I have left a simple rear saiga conversion
It still looks like this I have never got around to doing anything to it

6 Likes

The 5.45 mags look real similar to Arsenals 106 (5.56) AK mags, is it possible to modify the 5.45 mags to be used in the 106?

It’s been done
You can changer the follower to a 5.56 and you most likely have to modify the feed lips on the mag

1 Like

I just want to know why that gun isn’t wearing a seatbelt!!!

3 Likes

Someone left them here when they went in a skate trip

1 Like