Lever Action 30-30.... Still Viable For Hunting?

I shot a first impressions video with the steel frame Henry lever action 30-30. I contend that a 30-30 lever gun is still viable and still a very popular choice for hunting. What say you?

10 Likes

I’ve never owned a lever action but I have no idea why it wouldn’t still be good today if one was so inclined to the action. I know that lots of folks are. .30/30 still good today? Of course.

9 Likes

The last buck I killed was with a 30-30 lever. Great brush gun

8 Likes

Still viable? I say absolutely. The system is proven. There is a reason that lever guns have survived the test of time.

8 Likes

…and fun to shoot!

8 Likes

totally agree, no argument here

8 Likes

I’d be interested. There’s something elegant about lever actions. That, and I see them in Meiji-era samurai movies. To me it’s a symbol of Japan moving from the katana to the gun and the rebirth of the country in the modern age.

9 Likes

hmm, that is an interesting take, thanks for sharing

9 Likes

Sure! Guns existed in the Japan since at least the late 1500s, when Oda Nobunaga used them to conquer Japan, killing the main line of my samurai family. Soon after, Japan was split in war over how to view the Westerners and their religion, and Japan isolated itself from the rest of the world for about two centuries. The 1800s brought Admiral Perry’s modern “Black Ships” and repeating arms to Japan for the first time, forcing them to open up contact again with the rest of the world. It was a wake-up call to catch up with the times, and adopt new technology while preserving the Japanese spirit.

9 Likes

I believe Asians were the first to invent the gun but if I remember right the lever Action was invented by a European

9 Likes

I just looked it up and many are giving credit to an American company (Henry) for the lever action but they say the first Practical lever gun was made by Henry. I still want to say I have read somewhere that the very first one was in Europe

10 Likes

I’m also pretty sure the 30-30 has killed the most deer and elk. Can’t remember where I read it but I think I remember that

10 Likes

i have read that too, things will likely change as time rolls on but for now the 30-30 has a healthy lead when it comes to taking game

10 Likes

It’s age has a lot to do with it. It definitely is not the most proficient gun for elk or deer but with how old it is it’s got a lot of hunts under its belt.

Still one of my favorite rounds too. Great for kids to learn on as well. And it’s hard to beat as a brush gun. I would never make fun of anyone who preferred it over others

11 Likes

I mean really it’s arguably one of the best rounds ever made to stand the test of time like it has.

9 Likes

I have a Winchester made, Sears brand 30-30 that my dad gave to me a few years back with a few hundred of his reloads. I have hit a man sized target at 200 yds in the dark with that combo. It took 3 ahots, but it was successful.
@98Z can testify to the feat.
So, yes, a lever action 30-30 is stll a viable option for hunting. I don’t recommend doing it in the dark though.

9 Likes

as far as brush, the 44 mag in a lever does a great job too though

10 Likes

For sure! That’s a damn fine round. I like all levers

10 Likes

yes it is, it aint no speed demon but its one of the best all round guns for that.

10 Likes

well, gotta hurry up and get used to the sights, poa and poi on this one QUICK. i have been in touch with Skinner sights, by the suggestion of a viewer, and looks like they are going to be sending me one of their peep sights for this rifle… more content, yeah!

8 Likes