Lever/Pump gun thread!

Now that’s one badass rifle right there!

2 Likes

Thank you, the scope is a bushnell banner x4.

1 Like

Most everyone will at least know someone with one. A word of caution, the brass ejection is straight up!

1 Like

Mister_Torgue:

I have a late model Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. How is that? Close enough to the Winchester?

Mister_Torgue:

My Marlin 1895 SS Guide Gun in .45-70 is my favorite rifle. Close range, can take down anything (with a decent shot placement and the right bullet).

1 Like

SAK67:

No apology needed, but thanks.

I am the one that stepped out of line. Will keep it on subject henceforth.

1 Like

Should I ask the FUDDs around here? Kidding of course. :wink: I wonder if the father-in-law has one. May be a Marlin in 30-30…

You know, I’m not really all that familar with 30-30 ballistics so I haven’t a clue. However, as mainly my desire to shoot said rifle is mainly because I love lever actions the cartridge may not really matter to me much.

The .45-70 is one of those special cartridges, I’m quite interested in getting a BFR revolver chambered in that caliber. But, that’s a long way away.

1 Like

@ThisOldGun,
Thank you for help getting the thread started. What’s the largest bear your father took with that Beast of a rifle.
People that aren’t familiar with these rifles don’t realize how light they are in weight. Recoil monster!
I’ve shot my 45-70 exactly 0 times this year. I’ve been thinking about getting it ported my buddy put a muzzle brake on his and it helped quite a bit with the recoil, but it just looks too goofy to me that way. I’ve had people tell me that see through scope rings look goofy on a lever action rifle. The more I shoot mine the more I like it with the see-through rings. I like being able to use the fiber optics for close range and then stretch it out a bit with the glass if need be.

2 Likes

Oh I don’t know that one. I know he took it on trips to PA some years back. Couldn’t have been too large. This is a good thread!

3 Likes

@Wildlife,
They will be definitely fighting over it that 1974 is :cherries: is that the stock finish on the wood it looks pristine very nice.

4 Likes

Grandpas snowflake blowers.

8 Likes

I’ll have my grandfather’s model 14 Remington in 30 rem. 18 in. Barrel with the thumb nail safety.

2 Likes

Mister_Torgue:

.45 Colt bullets can get on up there in weight - over 300 grains. FPS usually tops out around 1300 to 1500.
Bottom line, it can produce around 1300 ft lbs of muzzle energy with the right factory loads (in +p).

.30-30 typically is in the 2100 to 2400 (or so) FPS with bullets ranging from 130 (or less) grains to 190 (or so) grains. So, the muzzle energy would be like 1500 to 1900 ft lbs.

So, yes, the .30-30 produces more muzzle energy. But, under 100 yards, I would think the .45 Colt +p could do more damage / take down a larger animal faster.

Sort of like comparing .45 acp to .357 mag.

Plus, the .45 Colt (even in +p), doesn’t have that really loud, high-pitched crack sound when firing like the .30-30 does. Just in case your hearing protection is lacking or missing, the .45 Colt would be easier to tolerate.

But, if you need to take shots at longer distances (longer than 100 yards), the .30-30 is the better way to go.

2 Likes

Robert:

You must be a mighty fine shot.

Yeah, .30-30 is probably the most popular deer caliber (and yes, I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30, so not dissing the caliber). Just, for me, I like the bigger bore calibers for most things. I even went squirrel hunting one time with my Colt Government .45 acp. I got one, but had to use my shotgun to finish him off (squirrel was just wounded and moving around too fast for me to hit it again with the .45 acp).

1 Like

Mister_Torgue:

BFR is a fine revolver. I have one in .45/.410 and love it. Just keep in mind they are designed for hunting, not (extended) target shooting. So, after shooting them, be sure to clean them. Otherwise, they can malfunction. BFR’s have very tight tolerances.

Hickok45 did a video on the BFR in .45-70. It is fun to watch. Good luck.

2 Likes

My not much fancy but fun to shoot is my Rossi 62 (copy of a Win M62A). I added Williams sights front & rear.

For some reason it seems to be deadly on running critters. The middle critter is a weasel I hit while it was running through grass. Before you laugh - try one sometime.

7 Likes

Wow. Pop went the weasel.

7 Likes

58marine:

I agree with Robert. Wow! You definitely could be a well-liked gunsmith, or …gun maker?

Very nice job on the .22 rifle. Truly a work of art.

3 Likes

Winchester 1890 and a Remington Model 12. Family heirloooms at this point I guess! They’re old enough.

8 Likes