Leverguns as fighting rifles

Let’s discuss the levergun as a fighting rifle. Obviously it is past its prime (like many of you) but putting that aside, what caliber, model, barrel length etc would you go for if the intention was using a levergun for social use?

A few good reads to kick it off

https://gabesuarez.com/the-truth-about-the-lever-action-rifle

• 30-30
  • .22 LR
  • 45-70
  • Other - specify

0 voters

6 Likes

94 in 32WSP

7 Likes

Marlin trapper with 16in barrel in .357 mag.

7 Likes

I really like the 30-30s ballistics out to 100 yards.

7 Likes

My 30-30 because that’s the one I have.

6 Likes

First off

fuck you, second, with Levelution the 30-30 can be effective out to almost 200 yards, thirds fuck you, see first, and last you really did not specify what “social use” you intend if I had to really reach out and touch someone maybe a Savage 99 in .308, up close maybe A Model 94 trapper in .357, 45 LC, or a 92 in 454 all-around maybe a Marlin 95 in 45-70 or a Winchester 94 in 30-30. oh and :belt_fed: Lever guns are not past thier prime, and they blend in pretty good too.

8 Likes

Lol I was just yanking your chain.

I agree about leverguns though not only are they slick and less threatening to the average fudd or anti gun whiner but they are lightweight and maneuverable. The lack of capacity is somewhat lessened by being able to top it off quickly.

By social use I mean a general fighting rifle for non mil use. I have only shot Winchesters and Marlins in 30-30, .22 lr, 45-70 , .45 colt ,.357 mag and .44-40. 30-30 is the sweet spot for me.

7 Likes

I am aware of that, I am old, but not senile yet

8 Likes

I may get scolded for this but I just don’t get the love for 44-40 … is it a matter of historicity and nostalgia or what?

5 Likes

It’s a pretty hot 44, I ever messed with one, ask @Belt-Fed he must have 10 or so.

7 Likes

By hot 44 it still falls short of the 30-30, right? Belt fed probably still has an ammo stash of 44-40 from the old west.

5 Likes

Only ever owned one lever gun, a marlin 30 30. got rid of it years ago. they too slow for me.

8 Likes

well shoot, i fergotted, i own a revolution 3030 now that was my brother in laws.

8 Likes

Bigot, How would you like it if your wife got rid of you for being too slow? #Allgunsmatter

5 Likes

I would like to get a Henry in 45-70

8 Likes

So would I And a Savage 99 in all the flavors and a Winchester in 35 Whelen and a…

8 Likes

I can see you are a man of sophisticated taste.

8 Likes

You take that back

8 Likes

Fine your a boxed wine type

6 Likes

Better, but this is more my speed.

10 Likes