Life while not working on guns, under Quarantine

ahhhhhh
Life under quarantine…
So while the state of Washington is under control by the knuckleheads, we are remodeling the shop and also taking the time to do some other stuff. Yesterday I started to teach my son how to use tree climbing gear. Even did a bit myself.
We are clearing off the ivy on 2 of his trees.

We are nearly finished with the new torch down roof on the shop. Installed 2 new skylights in the adjacent garage, ripping out rot, replacing windows and a lot of other stuff.

20 Likes

Lookin good, I’d hire ya.

14 Likes

Hah hahaha
Not for tree work!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

14 Likes

Not the tree work, I do that myself, but for the remodeling. looks good.

13 Likes

Thanks! All new insulation under a new slab that is 5 inches thick, 4000 psi with fiber mesh. I did a 24 inch grid with 1/2 inch rebar as well.
Walls will be insulated and the roof of course.

15 Likes

Michigan also, NWO goons

I’m already cutting firewood and hate Ivy of any kind so happy I’ve not seen any, NC had tons, I cleared some in NY I didn’t think was poison, thought it was just climbing, yeah, thought wrong

Along with firewood we have a ton of other projects, one the Mrs has bugged me all winter for, garage to craftroom

17 Likes

I did a lot of timber framing in my last shop. I will do that again in the new one. But this time it will actually be structural.

18 Likes

Awesome!!! Hahaha

14 Likes

And pretty :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve got some beams under tarps that don’t yet fit in any of my plans, might have to use yours as inspiration :+1:

13 Likes

@RogueGunnWorks that wood work looks awesome, nice job. :+1:

14 Likes

Nice work fellas! :sunglasses:

I feel unworthy. Yesterday, I only put up an 8’ wall and backer board in the basement to mount a whole house water filter and softener bypass valves.

14 Likes

What type of water do you have that prompted that?

12 Likes

I reread my post to realize it makes it sound worse than what it is. Our water here is pretty good. The only reason I have any of this filtration and softener hardware is, well… I’m married: she says the water’s bad, so it must be bad right?
:confused:

The 8’ wall was primarily to separate the mechanical room from the rest of the basement for noise reduction. I had to relocate the softener in the process so capitalized on the opportunity to move it some place easier to get to. I plan to finish parts of the basement by myself a little at a time. The backer board is a scrap of 2’x4’ OSB and about three times larger than it really needs to be. I just wanted the extra room to be able to access and change filters easily. I’m also getting it up higher so I can work on everything standing up.

Despite her opinion, our water here really isn’t bad at all. But I’ve always run a pre-filter in front of the softener and large particular post-filter after. Both filters are more to protect the softener and household appliances in case anything bad gets in on the supply side or the off chance the softener experiences a resin bed failure. IOW, the post-filter is cheap insurance -thing was only like $50 and has a removable SS strainer. I also like that it has a drain on the bottom, which comes in handy for topping off the brine tank and testing the sump pump.

8 Likes

Digging out the roots to the damn ivy.

15 Likes

My son and I also replaced a lot of the boards on his Toyota flatbed. We used stainless steel fasteners to make it last longer.

16 Likes

Redwood trees?

12 Likes

That looks good!

11 Likes

Western red cedar and a Douglas fir. They are the norm around here.
These are small… the Cedar is about 100 feet. They can become monsters though and they live over 1000 years.
His yard is just filled with tall trees, so need to clear them out!

13 Likes

That’s awesome :+1:

11 Likes

Any way you’ll be able to salvage some of the wood, namely the cedar?

9 Likes