Local Shop Closed Today

Our one actual gun shop in town closed today. The owner has decided to retire and doesn’t have anyone to take over. The shop is small and he never kept a lot of inventory aside from ammo and reloading supplies but he is one of the best gunsmiths in the area by a wide margin. I hate seeing the shop close but I can understand the desire to retire.

If I had the money and my FFL, I’d buy him out and expand the shop a bit. There’s quite a bit of wasted space in there that could be used better with some reorganization.

It’s a pipe dream but having my own shop would be amazing.

8 Likes

These days it will likely be turned into a pot store so might as well ask if he can let you have a go under his FFL

9 Likes

That’s a good idea Robert.

7 Likes

I would but not sure how receptive he would be to that. He had issues several years ago when someone got his FFL number and committed some seriously fraudulent purchases. Fortunately, they caught the guy and he is still serving time but the owner became VERY protective of that number afterwards. If you wanted a gun online, he would do the transaction and then you would pay him for the purchase and transfer after the gun arrived. Absolutely no way you were getting that info from him and ordering it yourself like most FFLs will do.

6 Likes

He could put you on the FFL as a responseable person while you were waiting for your FFL to process.

8 Likes

Honestly, if I had $50-$100K, I would probably offer to buy him out and ask to work under his FFL until mine came through. Anybody want to float me a business loan? :grin:

7 Likes

Go speak with him, he may loan you the funds himself, you don’t necessarily have to ask, just listen, feel, be willing and available, if nothing else enjoy some time and coffee with the man and give him a farewell

8 Likes

Sad another one bites the dust.
Firearms we can get many places.
A GOOD gunsmith is harder to find than an honest demonrat.
The “gunsmiths” around here couldn’t fix a sandwich.

9 Likes

Most newer gunsmiths would have trouble replacing a miscolored block in a Lego structure.

8 Likes

Wish that weren’t funny, last time I used a shop smith was to mount a bayonet lug/site on an AR, he drilled the pin hole on an angle, it was sad and a good lesson in just doing it yourself, why not if you risk getting noob results from a pro then save the cash and become a pro yourself

8 Likes

I’ve often given that some serious consideration. I’m a lot better at working on my guns than I used to be. I understand their parts better than I did when I was a youngin’. That being said, there are still some guns I wouldn’t touch with a 10 ft pole. My F.I.E. Nylon 66 copy is a good example of that. That little .22 rifle has more internals than an airplane.

7 Likes