Long range revolver bullets

Got these in, cant wait to load em up. I know they are 200yrd. Capable . As I have already done it with some 240 XTP Mags I robbed out of some .50 cal Sabots . That held these as the actual round. Runs with .45grains of H110 and man it is a mean one. But want to increase my options. I took a Doe at about 60 yrds. With the 300 cast but want to have that way out there capability when needed.
Inly bad thing … it is freezing cold out. :cold_face: dont particularly want to freeze trying to put these on paper .

7 Likes

Thats why they sell Tannerite.

4 Likes

I have loaded and shot those in 45 Colt and 454 Casull and can’t say how they would do past 50 but I never really saw any accuracy difference between them and other bullets in that size, the poly tip hornady ftx bullets I load for 450 Bushmaster and 45 Colt may be a good one to try for longer ranges in a revolver, they do well in the 450. They make them in 200 and 250 grain.

4 Likes

Just like rifle, revolver accuracy begins with case prep. And the place to start prep is the flash hole. That $8.00 tool can do more for accuracy then anything else on the bench. Size, trim, sort by head stamp sort by weight. As long as the bullet is not leading the barrel, I think it is at the low end of the accuracy debate. Hand cast, bulk cast, Rainiers, XTP’s, etc… are all accurate if loaded properly. We stretch out our barrels several hundred yards and I see SD’s over a hundred, and I see them in the tens and twenties. A 25 cent lead bulk cast bullet with an SD of 20 is a lot more accurate then a seventy cent XTP with a SD of 50.
Revolver can be a pretty accurate shooter with a little attention to detail.

5 Likes

The 250’s in FTX sounds interesting. They actually make other 240 and 250 grain that are not the XTP Mag .ie

Will not work. The jacket is too thin for a .460 and if your running hot in a .454 I wouldnt use them either.

5 Likes

SD I understand as sectional density. What does the “20” & “50” refer to?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

4 Likes

Also Standard Deviation.
Think this is my AR40 / 16" barrel 155gr XTP

338 Win Mag 185 gr SSTX

5 Likes

OK now a revolver:
Reduced recoil 44 mag 240 bulk lead

4 Likes

Good copy. I became smarter today.:grinning:

5 Likes

Shot number 3
Here is something cool. A doppler chart every 2 milliseconds velocity, speed distance, Last column is signal strength. Tracked the bullet even after it went through the 50 yard target until it hit the berm at 55 yards

5 Likes

Here is a revolver with a ridiculous extreme spread, over 100. Can’t find the shot list.

5 Likes

Only loosing 63fps wow …cool beans I like that

3 Likes

Yeah :laughing: 172 …wow what in the world causes that kind of spread . The standard Deviation of 61 is still horrible :yep:

3 Likes

I think that was my dad’s, after he shot over the lab radar that he got one of those midway or frankford case prep stations.
Won the shoot a year later and almost won the next one except I got him. Case prep is king.

4 Likes

Hard to shoot straight when your ammo is crap.

4 Likes

Lower SD’s are important in long distance rifle work too. The more consistent the bullet sheds velocity the more consistent the drop at distance.

2 Likes

Precisely :clap:

3 Likes

Nice Very Nice !!!

3 Likes

Too quick of prep your saying … not enough precise work your eluding too I take it .?

3 Likes

No, opposite, did 1000% better after he got the case prep station. It’s the one looks like a hardhat with brushes and cutters etc sticking out.
All mine are hand tools, but i’ll chuck them in a cordless if I have a lot to do.

4 Likes